Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tech Question
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all!

I have an i12s coming in the mail (tomorrow or Tuesday) and I was curious about something. I would like to mount a fish finder on a ram mount in the sail mast opening. I am curious where I would be able to put the battery and the transducer? Will the transducer be able to be glued somehow to the hull on the inside? I would also have to put an adapter to be plugged in on the wall of the hatch which would require some drilling and i'm not too happy about that, but I might need to ask my brother in-law for help on that. He'll good with that kind of stuff. Would doing this approach be against recommendation? I don't know what else there is as far as options? Do you have any examples? Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Tech Question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am not sure abou the sail mast opening. There is not much plastic to attach anyting to? You will need to place the battery in a water proof bag and tie down to the yak. The transducer should be attached outside the yak some how. I think attaching it to the rudder is the best idea, but some have built holders for the side and placed in the water at the end of the holder arm. I do not have pict for the holder arm, but you could do a search on this site and find an example. Maybe someone will post up with their homemade arms.

Good luck with your mods...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The RAM ball adapter for a mast receiver will only work with our hard kayaks. The inflatables are only 1/2" or so deep. I'm sure there are solutions out there. These forums will be a good source of recommendations and ideas for you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the help there guys. I have seen and done a ton of research on the arms and have been browsing this forum for quite some time.

If I ever end up getting the fish finder I'll let you know what I decide to do with the install. I am thinking maybe a ram mount with a arm to swivel over. I don't know yet.

Thanks again for the replies. Much much appreciated. Looking forward to becoming part of this great forum!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The most straightforward & "Hobie recommended" way is to mount it on a Hobie accessory mount. Glue down the mount, install a Scotty base, attach whatever fishfinder/electronics mount you want to the Scotty base. Ram & Scotty make several kinds of mounts. You can also mount to the forward hatch or bulkhead if you have good eyes & don't mind reaching a lot to fiddle with the unit, but I wouldn't recommend that.

I made a sideboard out of a small polyetheylene cutting board & attached it with straps to the various padeyes. Worked pretty well & was completely removable. You can also mount a swing arm for the transducer to it as well. I'd post a photo but I can't figure out how to from an iPhone. Google Mad Frog kayak accessories for basic idea.

You can put the battery in a dry bag or dry box and throw it in the front hatch, in you crate, hang it behind the mount, etc. I simply use a (10) AA cell holder with rechargeable batteries. The batteries, fuse, & excess wire all go in the dry bag. Cheap and easy. If I need fresh batteries (or forget to charge) I can grab some AA batteries from the store. Charged batteries last at least 10 hours with my simple Lowrance unit.