Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Main/Jib Halyards
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bought an '83 16' Hobie. Looks like I'll need both main and jib halyards. First of all, I am not sure if I have a comp tip mast or not, how can I tell? I imagine it's simple but just not sure.

Next, you can buy 1/4" double braided dacron 2000lb test, about $35 for 100' on ebay. Would that be an acceptable line to use for both halyards? I have the lengths required for each written down.

Sometimes I see a metal wire used for portion of the halyard, is that required, or just an add on? Just looking to keep things simple.

Next, some specialized halyards have a sewn in loop to connect to the shackle. Is it acceptable to just tie a bowline knot around the shackle on one end or is that a bad ide?

LAST question, for this thread at least. There is usually a bead on the main halyard to lock into the hook on the mast. How would one install this on a 1/4" halyard and if I was to just cleat the tension off on the mast, would this be a bad thing, assuming no bead and hook combo?

Thanks for all your help
LP

Post subject: Re: Main/Jib Halyards
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Comp-tip is a fibreglass addition to the metal so right where the mast tang is (where shrouds etc are shackled to the mast) you will notice a difference in the material. If it is all metal then no comp tip

as far as halyards go, they are specific to the hobie 16 so look on forums and ebay and you will find what you need for not a lot of money. Fabricating will be a whole new PIA for you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The presence of a Comptip is very easy to determine - is the top section of the mast black fiberglass with an attached plastic sail track? If so, then you have a Comptip.

If you have a Comptip, you must get a Comptip halyard from a Hobie dealer. There is no getting around this. It has the shackle to attach to the main, a short section of wire (with the capture slug) and the rest is Dacron line.

If you have an all-aluminum mast, the halyard is half wire and half line. You can make up the wire part and buy the line part (1/4" is too big), but you need to get the dimensions right, especially from the shackle to the capture slug.

Do not be tempted to bypass the halyard capture system (slug / hook) by just cleating off the halyard to one of the cleats. You'll do nothing but rip the cleat out of the mast.

For the jib halyard, you need to determine whether it is the original stock system (mostly wire, with the purchase at the bottom of the mast) or an Aussie system (purchase at the top and all line). If you have an Aussie system, you need about 75' of ultra-low-stretch line - 3/16" Dyneema line is what comes on the boats now. For the stock system, you're best off buying it from a Hobie dealer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie
Matt Exactly what is the measurement from the shakle to the copper slug I guess this needs to be from the slug to the pin on the shakle this is for my kids Hobie 16 model 1985 with Alumniun mast
I have a butt load of assorted wire around and will make my own

I can not wait to get my kids boat in the water Really miss the 16
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, I am out of the office this week...

The specification says:

Main Halyard (Non CompTip) C/L Shkle to near side stop 15 5/8"

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)