Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just checked with my dealer. A Hobie Adventure 16 ft kayak with sail is a sail boat in California and requires State Registration (Decal and Numbers) but its not being enforced at this time. :oops:

Does anyone else have their kayak registered due to the sail?

OffRoad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California.

per California DMV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the "Heads-Up" OffRoad. But if anybody asks, I never saw or read your posting.... I'd hate to be labeled a "Scofflaw"!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Apparently, people are now receiving tickets in California for sailing their Hobie kayaks without boat registration.

Time to head to the DMV...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought you lot were the Land of the Free? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

"freedom" is costly...

Not to mention the 'mental cost' of standing in line at the DMV

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Soon surfboards will need them. Imagine a DMV sticker and a hull number on a surfboard.

Every body is being turned into a criminal in the country, to many damn laws.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It should be cheap money, but who wants a bunch of letters and numbers plastered on their kayak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did some searching and found this at
http://www.takemefishing.org/state/page ... on/Titling

All vessels may be registered at any California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Upon registration the DMV will issue the boat owner: registration stickers, a Certificate of Number as well as a Certificate of Ownership. The following vessels do not require registration in California:
Vessels 8 feet or less in length propelled by sail (i.e. sailboards)
U.S. Coast Guard Documented Vessels
Vessels that are currently registered and kept in another state (after more than 90 days of use, California should be considered the state of principal use)
Vessels registered in another country
Manually propelled vessels (i.e. canoe, kayak)

I also found this at http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/VEH/1/d3.5/2/s9873

CAL. VEH. CODE § 9873 : California Code - Section 9873

Search CAL. VEH. CODE § 9873 : California Code - Section 9873

An undocumented vessel shall not be required to be numbered under this chapter if it is:

(a)Already covered by a number in full force and effect which has been issued to it pursuant to federal law or a federally approved numbering system of another state; provided, that such undocumented vessel shall be subject to the numbering requirements of this chapter if it has changed its state of principal use and has been within this state for a period in excess of 90 consecutive days.

(b)A vessel from a country other than the United States temporarily using the waters of this state.

(c)A public vessel of the United States, another state or subdivision thereof or municipality of such other state.

(d)A ship's lifeboat.

(e)Any vessel belonging to a class of boats which has been exempted from numbering by the department after the department has found that the numbering of vessels of such class will not materially aid in their identification; and, if any agency of the federal government has a numbering system applicable to the class of vessels to which the vessel in question belongs, after the department has further found that the vessel would also be exempt from numbering if it were subject to the federal law. An undocumented vessel propelled solely by oars or paddles and an undocumented vessel eight feet or less propelled solely by sail are exempt from the provisions of this chapter.

This is a forum at http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/commun ... 61668.html

On the last post the last line says
"The word "soley" is the key word here. Your kayak is not a motorized vessel, nor is it soley powered by sail."

I made copies to keep with me so if I do get questioned. According to what I read Kayaks are not solely propelled by sail but by paddling and peddling as well.

I not a lawyer but I think the DMV would have to change the code to require registration. This is only my opinion, I am not recommending anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in New Mexico and both of my AI's are titled and registered. Its always a very good idea to have any vessel titled if your state allows for it. It's usually cheap and it gives you a way to make your insurance claim whole if your vessel is stolen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an Adventure (not island). I had the same question about the sail and researched it. As previously mentioned, techically, it must be registered in California and Utah to use the sail. Before registering, I spoke with rangers in each state. The California State Park ranger was very kind. We discussed, I sent him a picture and he indicated he would not issue a ticket. Had the same conversation with a Utah Park ranger at Bear Lake, who said the same thing, however, he said his boss was a "stickler" and probably would issue a ticket. So...

...I registered in California (my primary residence) as to be compliant when visiting Utah. I decided not to put my numbers on, believing I might only get a warning. After 3 summers of sailing on Folsom Lake (CA) and Bear Lake (UT), I haven't been hassled, though I haven't even had a ranger come close to me either.

I guess it is a luck of the the draw. The good thing is the Adventure with the non-Island sail doesn't stand out from a distance as to draw any attention. The other advantage (in both states) is sails held up by your body are exempt, so I will periodically drop mine and remove the mast. Again, from a distance, they probably don't see it as a permanently masted vessel. Of course, this is my speculation and experience. I am "knocking on wood" as I write this.

I'm ok with the registration and stickers, but the numbers? give me a break!! How much tax revenue and how much of a public safety issue is a kayak? At least those rangers I spoke to seem to have a good outlook. I hope other rangers have better things to do than hassle a kayaker... like ticketing drunken PWC operators who use you as a racing buoy!! (a true story, in which case they got busted. It made my day once the jitters from the close encounter faded).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an 2011 AI
Very true, many will not enforce the code because they have bigger things to do. Don't get caught because the fine for Cali is huge.
Play the game they play with us, register in an even numbered year for Cali NOT odd numbered

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rferre2000 wrote:
After 3 summers of sailing on Folsom Lake (CA) and Bear Lake (UT), I haven't been hassled, though I haven't even had a ranger come close to me either.

Actually Folsom Lake is where the recent reports of ticketing occured. Two recent stories, one where they just got a warning and another where they received a ticket. Apparantly there is one particular ranger who is a stickler.
In both cases they were Islands (not sure if TI's or AI's) so maybe other Hobie's with just the smaller sail will not get targeted.
Folsom Lake and Lake Natoma are my primary lakes to sail/kayak so I went ahead and registered. I also plastered those damn numbers on the bow (although I got ones that somewhat match the color of the kayak, not those normal reflective yellow blocky boat numbers that most use). I agree that I probably could have gotten away with just the registration sticker but having the numbers means I don't have to explain everytime a ranger wants to check my boat out, with the numbers he can see from a distance and not bother me.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I called Ca. DMV today and spoke with a very nice lady on this subject. I like to sail my 09 Outback but now am worried about registration. DMV says if it is solely powered by pedal or paddle does not need registration but when a sail is added, now it is not solely pedal or paddle powered.

While camping in Oregan last year at Lava Lake on the 4Th of July late afternoon. As I dock the yak on a spot where we launch from a Sheriff pulls up and we start talking . I was thinking he wanted to know more about the Hobie but asked the length then wrote me out a citation for not having the green tag that all boats over 10 ft have to comply with, even out of state boats. It is for the mussel and weed control.

Drove 90 miles to get the $5 tag just for 3 more days. Told that my citation was in the system and if stopped again there would be a big fine.

So with my luck I'll be registering my yak....

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The key phrase in CDMV is "Solely"
Once you raise a sail..you can get cited. I have had USCG you name name it let it go. "Safety equip? Cool have a great day!"
I have NO desire to find the one that enforces letter of the law VS Spirit of the law

Look this up if in California. Registration is HALF the cost in even numbered years VS odd.

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy