Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was researching serial numbers because I wanted to know what month and year my boat was built in. But It don't make sense.

Here is my serial
CCMH9074M84M

The problem is M is the 13th letter in the alphabet and there are only 12 months. So what month was it built in? Also my year model is a Letter not a number. Can someone please fill me in?

CCML1944A888 ( CCM L 1944 A 8 88 )

CCM - Coast Catamaran Manufacturer

L - The letter in that position "L" stands for the model of boat/kayak. Each boat model (H16, H17, H18 etc.) starts out with a different letter. If more than 9,999 of that model were built in one year, there would be multiple letters for a single model. In example, there were so many Hobie 16's built in some years that the model letters include CCMB, D, E, F, L, O, P R and S (also do to several other factors). The letter must change if we build more than 9,999 in one year.

1944 - Serial number sequence number

A - "A" is the month for January, "B" February and so on.

8 - year which was built in 1988

88- Your boat is a 1988 model year. Model years are like cars. The new year starts in September.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Older boats (between '73 and late '80s) used a slightly different schema:

CCM H 9074 M 84 M:

CCM - Coast Catamaran
H - Model H (Hobie 18)
9074 - serial number
M - place holder (Made in)
84 - model year
M - month of manufacture. "I" may not have been used, since it can be mistaken for "1", so since model years start in September, it would have been made in August of 1984.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thank you MBounds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wednesday I am going to buy some mag wings for my 18. Today I was waxing my boat when I noticed that inside the crossbars where the wings mount, there were already mounting bars inside the track.

Does this mean that my 18 used to have wings? If it did have wings that means it was originally a Hobie Magnum not an SE right?

Also if the mounting bars weren't already in the track, would I have had to take the boat apart to install them for the wings?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe after the 18 magnum was introduced, Hobie included some of the mounting hardware in all of the crossbars, regardless of whether the boat was supplied with wings or not. I know my '85 has one of the threaded mounting bars installed in the rear crossbar, even though that boat never had wings. The reason being that the crossbar would have to be disassembled to install this particular mounting bar. The other three, I believe can be installed without taking the crossbars apart.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine had all four already installed. So it probably was a magnum huh? Also the ones on the front crossbar look like you need to take the crossbar apart to get em in or out.

My 18 has the stock tramp still in excellent condition, no tears or worn spots. Because the original lacing is super tight, I really really don't want to take it apart. I think if you take care of them they will last for ever. 4 eeevvvveeeeerrrrrr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll be installing Magnum wings on my '88 H18, beginning in a couple weeks. I'm not really looking forward to disassembling the crossbars as I have my OEM tramp set up perfectly. However, I plan on installing the hull to crossbar reinforcement plates at the rear crossbar outer sides for extra strength, as well as adding aft 4" ports to access the install, so disassembly is a must.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just finished reinforcing the FWD crossbar anchor plates on 18, its a (censored) to grind the bead of glue down. I just learned that I should do inboard and outboard fwd anchor plates. I only did the outboards.

For some reason I am not as worried as you about installing anchor plates on the rear crossbar. If hobie never put them on I wont bother either. I would only do it if I needed to add a hatch for some other reason rear of the rear crossbar. Like to mess around with the rudder gudgeon.

Good luck with those rear anchor plates. How much did you pay for your wings?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mecky,
well, since I bought my boat new in '88, sold it in '95, and found it again in 08', I am set on taking really good care of her. I just feel the extra reinforcing will keep her from too much stress in that area.

I picked up the wings for $750. they include the original vinyl seats (not in good shape), a set of mesh seats and all the hardware. my boat has clear anodizing and the wings are black anodized. I'd prefer matching metal components, but I am glad to have found the set.

I know my wife will be happy with the wings.