Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony,
I've just watched Abisail's video and wondered what he had used. The image on my phone looked like corrugated poly roofing which I didn't think would take the weight. Double walled polycarbonate seems like a good idea. I have some which I'll have to try out though I have my doubts that the standard poly will span the 30cm OK. Abisails poly looks to be much deeper in section.
Meantime I have sourced some aluminium mesh which may work. It is '007 (7mm) security mesh'. It takes my weight and a sheet for both ladders costs $58. Best of all it is light -less than 2kg per ladder and unlike poly sheet won't catch the wind.
If this works each ladder should weigh less than 6kg. It may not be as comfortable but a foam pad should fix that.

PS- Tony you are getting Chrisj and me mixed up! :wink:

Last edited by stringy on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Seriously, you could just strap a couple SUPs on there and have built-in ATV's/escape pods.

I had considered this way back after seeing Hobie's promo shots with a surfboard across the aka. Problem is the expense of a big board/SUP and I wanted a camping platform as well. I didn't think boards like that would be durable enough and they would catch the wind (which may or may not be a problem.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
If people are so keen to use materials other than timber, 90 x 25mm rectangular profile aluminium tube is available. That's about the same dimensions as the timber decking boards I used for mine. It weighs from 0.492 to 0.792 kg per lineal metre. depending on the wall thickness. You could use 25 x 25mm tube for the crossbraces and any aluminium fabricator could weld it up for you. Just a thought.
http://www.hcaluminium.com.au/products/ ... ular-tube/

Chris,
Thanks. That would work but I imagine it would be expensive to have it fabricated. At $45 a side I thought the extension ladder was great value. I reckon the aluminium material would cost that at least. With $30 mesh each haka would be less than $100 (allowing for clips etc) and weigh less than 6kg! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Firstly Stringy, apologies for getting you and Chrisj mixed up!

I am going back to Bunnings tomorrow, as I noticed that the industrial ladder has the "U" section sides facing inwards, making what I think will be a perfect location for the filling panel resting on the rungs (slipped in from one end) This has the potential to add further to the strength of the "beam".

I suspect that the form factor of a double sheet of strong polycarbonate material with 8mm (or 10mm) vertical ribs every 15-20mm, supported by the rungs of the ladder would be hugely strong enough.

BUT, I really like your open mesh for both lightness and its inability to get caught by a wind gust at an inopportune moment (but on the other hand, the surface area will be insignificant compared to a tramp). I guess in a perfect world, a slightly closer scale mesh would be even better, but I think you have a winner there!

BTW I just found spray shield shade cloth in Bunnings while I was there, which looks like a perfect match for Hobie Dune (not than vanity is an issue, no siree :))

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No worries Tony! :)
There is another brand heavier duty ladder at Bunnings that is about $120. It has flat rungs but it has box section stringers. I was a bit concerned about saltwater getting inside the box section and not getting flushed out easily. The HD ladders are of course also heavier.
I agree with you regarding the mesh and this week I will be visiting local window/door suppliers etc to see if a smaller, more suitable mesh is available.
One idea I had was to use those flooring closed cell interlocking foam mats with holes punched into them that camping stores sell:
That should make the mesh more comfortable! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They are also good for padding between hull and amas on the trailer/roof!

Back to Bunnings tomorrow with measuring tap!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, can you tell me where you got those tube clips you've used to attach your Hakas to the akas?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,
I got them from BiasBoating.
There are 2 types- wide and narrow base. I bought a selection of the different sizes ages ago but I think the clips I've used on the ladder are:
Part#4342 Wide Base Tube Holder 38mm. Page 81 in the latest catalogue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks mate. Ya gotta love BiasBoating. They've got it all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, those tube clips are the bee's knees. They grip so well, I don't think the bungees are necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, they work OK Chris. I think I'd still have the bungees, just in case the 'unthinkable' capsize occured. Wouldn't want to get hit in the head by a flying haka.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I finally got a chance to try the Raka out on the water today. Winds: 10-15 knots. Experience: excellent. I haven't had a chance to try Hakas yet, so I can't compare, but, as NOHUHU predicted, the Raka certainly gave the experience of sitting high and dry(ish) out over the water. It felt just like sailing a Cat. I stayed on it all day, but, I must admit, when I had to return to my launching spot, dead upwind, I ended up dropping back into the seat and using the Mirage drive. The seat felt cramped by comparison.
One thing I particularly liked was that I could adjust my sitting position according to conditions, so that the amas remained level at all times. What I am not sure about is whether I would be able to hike out far enough to keep the boat level at wind speeds of 20+ knots.
An unexpected benefit: the boat seemed to tack much better. I think it might be a combination of the boat turning better with the bow lifting out of the water a bit and me remaining hiked out for a few seconds after the boat crossed the wind, which seemed to help it fall away from the wind.
Next time, I'll try it in Haka mode, for comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well done Chris. I enjoyed the review, coming from a very experienced sailor.

I seem to be able to control heeling on a reach, up to around 30mph. Then I turn off the wind or dump some of it with the sheet, which is faster cuz I always have a death grip on the sheet. The tiller is harder to finess when you are hiked out in a starboard tack.

I think you'll like sliding around in the Haka mode. High and dry. The view is outstanding.

You can always jump back in the seat when you want to take a cold bath.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great info there Chris and Nohuhu.
I've finished one all aluminium haka and will probably test it tomorrow.
I ended up getting a sheet of 007 (7mm) anodised Security mesh ($55) which will do 2 ladder haka. The wider haka weighs 5kg and feels very strong now that the mesh is secured to the rungs. I can walk on it confidently and it should make a secure camping platform. For the testing I have secured the mesh using cable ties but will pop rivet it all together if all goes well. Now I have the basic framework I'm going to experiment with different coverings/padding. I'm trying out a dinghy seat for the test. Once I get the position right I'll fix it with SS press studs so it can be removed for camping. I'm also looking at possibly some shade cloth much like K-Bobs sprayshield over the mesh to stop spray.
Can't wait to try it out! :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm glad the Raka experiment worked Chris ! Thanks for the update. Switching out of the Hobie seat sure changes the sailing experience of the AI.

NOHUHU wrote:
I think you'll like sliding around in the Haka mode. High and dry. The view is outstanding.

You can always jump back in the seat when you want to take a cold bath.

You sure hit the nail on the head NOHUHU. The only downside of switching from haka to haka is the the momentary dip into the "cold bath". Although that may be a positive thing when summer gets into full swing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 88  Next