Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: main sail chafe
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My main sail is getting very chafed. It is chafing because I must tighten the down haul past the entry point of the sail. Is there a insert you can put in the luff track after raising the main and before you tighten the down haul to avoid this? My luff rope is showing :(

Post subject: Chafe
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:51 am 
Site Admin

The bottom end is fraying? There is no insert. Perhaps just some reinforcement can be sewn over to beef it up.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes the bottom end is fraying. It is rubbing where the sail enters the luff track. Really the slot should be lower enough for this not to happen.

Post subject: Lower the slot?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Not sure on that one. The halyard is not hooked? The Getaway has a small bead that locks the sail at the top. You do not depend on the halyard line itself to hold it at the top... it stretches too much. I can't remember how far down the foot is when downhauled correctly. The picture in the manual shows it quite high above the slot. No chance it would get all the way to the lower end.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't get enough down haul to get the sail tight, the end of the bolt rope won't go back through the guide. I'm going to remove it, also I know it is hooked at the top.

Post subject: Feeder?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Oh...OK, so you have one of the stainless feeders? We don't use them any longer, so removal is a good thing. That will stop any forther damage to the bottom of the sail.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm seeing the exact same problem as "jamescell". The boat is less than a year old, and yet their is quite a bit of wear from the luff track opening. Once the bead is locked, the sail sits a few inches above the opening. Any downhaul at all brings the sail into the opening, usually stopping about half way in the opening. It is now the rubbing of the sail at the top of the opening that is causing the damage. I agree totally, you'd think a tightened sail shouldn't be anywhere near the opening. :?: :(

Post subject: Opening height.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Don't think we have changed anything about the slot specs.

I would check the mast slot to burrs or roughness. It should be fine pulling down below the top of the opening. This is very common with all models.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had the same issues with the base of my main sail, and I have checked the feed slot for any rough spots, but it's smooth. I got the boat new about 7 weeks ago, and have sailed it about 12 times. The wear seems excessive. I think as the mast rotates it works the sail cloth. I have just ordered some sail tape that I am going to apply to provide a barrier and hopefully lessen sail damage.

Post subject: Photos?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Can you guys get me some photos of the sails downhauled and the sail damage? Dimensions of the opening and distance from the mast base? Do your mast have slots that are milled on both sides of the track or just one side? Feeders?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will take some next time I go out. The haylard is hooked at the top. The downhaul is impossible to tighten enough to get the wrinkles out , but I am figuring this is a problem with all boomless sails. The track is free of burrs actually it is quite smooth. I can feed the sail in the luff track from both sides of the mast. Is that what you mean by slots in both sides? It's just one slot but it is on both sides of the luff track. Feeder??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll get some downhauled sail photos next time I go out. On my mast, the slot cut out is on one side only, and is free of any burrs. The top of the slot is 27" from the bottom of the mast base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This weekend I checked my new 06 getaway that has only been out about 4 times. With just enough downhall to take out the wrinkles the main ends right at the top of the slot. If the luff stretches at all it will be well into the slot. I can see where the constant rotation of the mast will start to chaff the main.

Post subject: chaffing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My Getaway is less than 6 months old. When downhaul is tight enough to take wrinkles out of leading edge, the bottom edge of my luff is below the feeder slot about 6 inches. My main is also chaffing in the material surrounding the bolt rope. In 6 months or so I anticipate my bolt rope being exposed. I can email you pictures next time I am out. What is your email address??

Thanks,
Randy Ashley
2006 Getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmm, I'll have to check mine. I haven't seen any problem with my 2005 boat. The bottom of the sail comes down to about half of the slot when tightened in moderate winds, but I haven't noticed any chaffe.

Note that the luff rope should be 'very' tight. I've seen people simply going down from the downhaul grommet to the cleat. In order to tighten the sail correctly, you need to thread the downhaul throught the cleat, back up throught the grommet in the sail and finally down to the cleat. And don't hesitate to put some pressure.

I suspect that increasing the tension will not only improve sail shape but also reduce chaffing at the slot.