Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: weather helm?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last summer I picked up a used classic wave. Its old but in good shape. 1996 if I remember right.
Anyways sailing with just me (220lbs) it wants to turn downwind if I take my hands off the rudders. It seems that having all the weight in the back of the boat is causing the hulls to be out of trim. It will gently turn up wind with 2 aboard. I tried raking the rudders a bunch more but then it sucks with 2 people aboard. I just dont want the boat to sail away if something goes crazy. And the steering has a funny feel to it without a bit of weather helm.
Anybody else notice this?

With my current rigging (non adjustable classic)I can sheet in till my blocks just about touch each other. My sail is not the greatest maybe its super stretched out??? Could that cause excessice lee helm?

Post subject: Re: weather helm?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you fall off there won't be 220# on the boat anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats what I kept telling myself all summer LOL.
Still dont like the feel of the steering even with rudders raked back to max. Its pretty much neutral then.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bump...no one else has noticed a similar tendancy?
I hate to test it out to see if my wave will turn its self upwind if I happen to fall off! Rather not watch my boat sail its self across the lake and into the rocks! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was sailing at a place where a lot of tankers come by and my Hobie got underway. One of the rudders dropped and off it went, lucky that it was a sailing event “TCDYC Redfish Reach”, and so got a lift to retrieve the Hobie right away. The Wind was blowing about 12-15 knots, and the Hobie was really moving it would have been a long run before we would have caught it even though we were on a 18 footer, but had 4 guys on it and were a bit weighted down, but the Hobie caught a gust and made a port turn so wasn’t long before it wasn’t a “navigational hazard” anymore. So am not sure how a sailboat is supposed to act if you fall off, but a few of the other sailors came up to me and told me stories of how the same thing has happened to them with various other types of boats. As far as the trim the more speed you have and get on one hull, I would of like to have that bow up a bit more! 8)