Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an old (1982 or so) Holsclaw trailer for my Hobie 16 and am in the process of installing a winch on the mast stand, which is a round steel cylinder. Based on the configuration of holes in the winch plate (on the top there are 3 holes equidistant apart and on the bottom there is one hole in the middle), I can fit a u-bolt around the mast stand and through the top of the winch plate but would have to either (1) drill new holes in the bottom of the winch plate (and risk interfering with the winch mechanism), (2) attach the winch to a backing plate and then attach the backing plate to the round mast stand or (3) drill a hole in the middle of the mast stand in order to attach the bottom of the winch to the mast stand. Any thoughts on which would be the best approach and, if the best approach is a backing plate, any idea where I could find one or how I could make one?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would just thru-bolt through the mast stand. It will be plenty strong. Just make sure you use a centerpunch where you want to locate the hole, otherwise your drill bit will wander. If you have access to a drill press, that would be ideal, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

sm