Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos wrote:
I'm not so sure about that mod Chris :o . In big wind not having the akas attached might cause problems.

Also, using a leash is highly recommended with hakas. When switching from haka to haka, it provides a nice level of security. Especially when sailing by yourself.
Couldn't agree more Jim. I'm only strapping the akas while I decide if this is a worthwhile mod. I won't be taking them out in any big winds. As I said, if I decide I want to keep it, I'll install some new posts behind the crossbar to attach the crossbraces to, like on the TI. I already leash myself. There's definitely a lot more chance of falling off from up there (that's half the fun).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris, I see no reason it wouldn't work if you move the brace balls to the back... you could reinforce them inside the hull with washers or a small plate. Anyway, I'm not quite sure if Hobie uses a brass receiver for these now.

Hakas (or tramps) will lend greater stability than the Faka, since they staddle the middle of both Akas which are under stress. I popped my brace bar while hiking the Hakas last week (easy to do) and there was very little deflection. I was even able to reset it while sailing upwind, (not so easy).

So far, we have built and tested the all batwings with the Aka brace in its normal position, so you are sailing in uncharted waters now.

So as a friend I have to caution you - If you are going to crash and burn, Pleeeeze make sure the cameras are running! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
So as a friend I have to caution you - If you are going to crash and burn, Pleeeeze make sure the cameras are running! :wink:

Mate, they'll have to prise the GoPro from my cold dead hand (or they would if I owned one).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll lend you my GoPro Chris- just make sure it's leashed!
If you do decide to move the braceballs rearwards you may want to order the TI aka brace connectors as well. They are longer and designed to work backwards. BTW one of my workmates lives near the Koolewong ramp and saw me out testing on Thu. He saw a yellow AI out the day before. Was that you?
You should have rung me. :)

Tony,
I got the security grill from a local window/door supplier. It pays to ring around. I ordered a standard sheetsize 2400x 750mm grill and got quotes from $55 to $150! I went with anodised as its supposed to be better in salt water.

Slaughter,
Slaughter wrote:
( hope you didn't 'borrow' that ladder from work Stringy )

:lol: :lol:
Sshh....I won't tell if you won't. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

these latest 'inventions' are very similar to the 'Rutland Boat Seat' that I have somewhere in the shed. I used it when flyfishing for trout on Rutland Water (and other large waters) when I lived in England. If you do a search on google for 'Rutland Boat Seat' you will see the similarities, mine is a basic model without backrest or wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the tip Stringy, I will make sure I get the cheaper one! :)

I'm thinking of using tie-wraps to attach the mesh to the rungs, as it would be easier than rivets.. any thoughts on this alternative? I also plan to cover the relevant bits of the akas with black cloth duct tape to minimise scratching from those huge clips. Did you bolt the clips on, or use rivets?

So many questions so much time LOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony,
I've only used cable ties for now but I may keep them in place as the grill is very secure on the rungs. The tube clips are riveted on and protective tape would be a good idea. My aka are the original dud e-coating and I'm not fussed about scratches. In fact I think there is less corrosion where the e-coating has peeled off :roll:

Stop Press!
You may want to hold off on the ladder haka. One of my workmates has just brought in an off-cut of some wall panelling. It is 40mm polystyrene foam sandwiched with coated aluminium. It is very light and strong. It spans 1200 OK (the sheet wasn't big enough to check the AI's 1500 or TI's 1400 span) and a couple of off cut planks (edged with aluminium) may work better.
I'm not sure what it is called- it may be a Stratco product but Ausiports did the extension so I'll try to get some more details when they re-open.
A big advantage with this is it looks better than the ladder and it will probably float!

There are also a number of other options that may work such as aluminium painters planks and aluminium slats over the ladder rungs. I sourced some 50 x11x1.2mm slats OK but only in a mill finish. It was going to cost $400 to get 4 x6.5m lengths anodised though so I dropped that idea. :shock:
As you say 'so many questions so much time'

One thing is for sure though -the haka make an already versatile craft that much more versatile. I'm very excited at their potential. I was a big fan of the tramps when they came out but the haka concept does take it to another level. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
BTW one of my workmates lives near the Koolewong ramp and saw me out testing on Thu. He saw a yellow AI out the day before. Was that you?

Yeah, I was out on Brisbane Water on Wednesday, giving the Raka its shakedown cruise. Like I said in my earlier post, we should get together to compare notes and to take some photos of each other skimming across the water hanging off our (H)(R)(F)akas.

jms2756 wrote:
these latest 'inventions' are very similar to the 'Rutland Boat Seat' that I have somewhere in the shed. I used it when flyfishing for trout on Rutland Water (and other large waters) when I lived in England. If you do a search on google for 'Rutland Boat Seat' you will see the similarities, mine is a basic model without backrest or wheels.

Well there is some resemblance, but the essence of the Hakas and wings is that they afford a way to hike out over the water. The Rutland seat seems to be designed to sit between the scuppers of a boat. It doesn't seem to be particularly suitable for hiking out, though like a ladder, it could be modified for the purpose. A pair of them would set you back about $750, before you even started.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Exciting news Stringy! I can hardly wait for more info on those foam-filled panels, they sound brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The refrigeration panels have all sorts of compatable accessories including ally extrusions, but they are buggers to work with and will open you up in a blink.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Oh! I'm kinda slow this week. NOW I get it! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Took a while for the extension of my humour to climb enough to spot that one :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Thanks Tony! And everyone else.

With that post the "THE HAKA BENCH SEAT" thread may just have become the most active Hobie Island thread ever.

Even beat out the "Island Rudder Replacement Program"! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Time to slide back down Tony
:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi to All. Guys this is my favorite thread here. Great ideas from all over the globe. I use my tandem for flats fishing and chasing dolphins and just sailing fun. After looking at all the ideas and thinking about how I use my boat, and the fact that I never know who if any one will be going with me. This is what I have come up with. They serve many purposes. I am still working on the tiller extension. Lets keep this going.
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/6596/3d2.mp4

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 88  Next