Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Matt, Any ideas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For the third time, the aduster bolt on my back turbo fin came completly undone when pedaling. Has anyone else had any trouble with the adjuster nut backing off during use?

I had to pull the drive out and screw the bolt back in as tight as I could and then wrap lots of mono around it. It still backed off against the mono. Blue locktite dosen't seem to work. Image

Post subject: Nuts!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Nuts!

This product was tested heavily (cycle tested for over 750,000 to 1,000,000 strokes by a machine) without showing this issue.

It is possible that the rubber is worn from making adjustments. Best to remove the clew attachment and spin the screw into the nut which leaves the nut fixed in the rubber.

You need to get better friction between the fin and the nut. Perhaps rough up the knurling on the nut or wedge something between the rubber and the nut in a pinch.

Other ideas would be to tweak the threads at the point where you want the nut to lock. Use red lock tite? We are folding the threads over on the ends now so the nut cannot spin off the end.

Other than that, my assumption has to be that a diameter dimension of the nut varies, changed or it does not have the same rough knurling. It is also possible that this all works a little differently on an older drive or maybe the threads on the clew attachment screw is ratcheting the adjuster screw on each stroke...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:27 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I saw the same thing yesterday. A gentleman had just purchased the turbofins for his Sport -- this was his first time out with them. When he came out of the water, the fin was gone. Fortunately he recovered it -- the knurled nut was still in place in the fin; the screw was still mounted to the (new) drive!

It must have backed out somehow. I had adjusted the clew tension for him earlier and there was no stripped thread. Very strange! I checked mine -- nothing was out of position.

The only thing I noticed earlier is that he had overtightened the sproket guards so that they were locked on the shaft -- couldn't rotate freely. Librarian, it looks as if you have your "outhaul block" might be a little tight also. It should also be free to rotate with the fin. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After reading Matt's and Roadrunner's posts I'm begining to think it is a combination of things. The nuts that came with the kit are a little different in size.

Plus I have a yoke separate from the outhaul block.

Also the bolt that replaces the clevis pin is much shorter, causing the yoke to bind.

I'm going to try a couple of things.
1. I'm going to get a longer bolt to replace the clevis pin and free up the yoke.

2. My dealer, Barrell has told me to come in and get a new knurlled nut.

3. Keep a couple of extra nuts in my yak just in case I loose the knurled nut.

BUT all of this has to wait for a week 'cause I have to take my wife down to NC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:56 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

For the old style drive, I picked up a 1" 8 x 32 screw (bring your nylon lock nut along to be sure). That should work perfectly! Thread it so that the screw just emerges from the end of the nut, allowing full movement of your "yoke" or outhaul block. The 3/4" screw that was included in the kit is not suitable for the older drives.

Hopefully, that will solve your problem. 8)

Post subject: Clevis
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:41 am 
Site Admin

We have also gone back to a clevis pin (long enough for the old drives too). The will prohibit it for being over-tightened.

This change will hopefully be in the next batch we get.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RR and MM,

Thanks for the suggestions. I got 1" bolts with nylock nuts to free up the yoke. I also got nylock nuts to replace the knurled nuts.
Now I just have to wait a week to try it out.

Once again thanks, I never would have thought this through by myself.

Gordon, AKA Librarian :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:34 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Keep a couple of extra nuts in my yak just in case I loose the knurled nut.

Matt

An addition to the repair kit might be useful.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Guys,

I did as Roadrunner suggested and replaced the yolk bolts with 1' ones. I also replaced the nurled nuts with nylock nuts and washers. Pedaling for hours yesterday with no loosinging of the fins. Problem solved, Thanks Hobie fourm.