Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I just bought a used Hobie Outback. The previous owner did quite a bit of surf launching, judging by the scrapes and what not on the hull. I was wondering if anyone has used any sort of coating to protect the bottom of the hull? I was thinking of a polyurethane sealer called Helmsman Spar Urethane. Some folks use it to restore the lenses on their vehicles. I understand the hull is not as rigid as the headlight lens covers, but perhaps it may still work? Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure on the product, but I surf launch rather frequently and can say that the scratches on my hull are not related to surf launching. Rather they are related to oyster beds on the bottom of the hull from fishing in the shallows, bridge pilings on the sides and the bow, and minor scratches from dragging it across a gravel drive or path.

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i don't discount that. it could be rocks from the surf, dragging the kayak across whatever surface, but i'm going to do my best to take care of it from this point on, therefore my inquiry about using the product.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not exactly what you're talking about, but check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9w--lpw ... ata_player

Uses black Gorilla tape to protect sides of hull. Not going to be that cheap/efficient if you want to cover large areas - the stuff is $15 for 90' of 3" wide tape at local Lowes. Advantage is it's removable/replaceable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gas Yakker wrote:
Not exactly what you're talking about, but check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9w--lpw ... ata_player

Uses black Gorilla tape to protect sides of hull. Not going to be that cheap/efficient if you want to cover large areas - the stuff is $15 for 90' of 3" wide tape at local Lowes. Advantage is it's removable/replaceable.

thanks. I did search and found that video. However, I was referring to the bottom of the hull. I don't have to worry about the sides as much because I don't rub up against anything. It's the bottom that got scratched up.