Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey guys.....great forum here.....ive been lurking for a while now....

anyway, just bought a new adventure from a dealer a few days ago. i picked it up from the dealer not taking a close look at the bottom of the hull but i did notice what looked like a unfairness to the hull bottom as the dealer what putting it on my roof foam blocks....

i got home and took it off and notice the bottom is very irregular. it looks as if the whole area between the seat scuppers and the drive well is pushed in, with several smaller dents forward of the drive well. i tried the leaving it in the sun but it didnt seem to do much. i checked the serial number and the date is A606 so im assuming thats jan 6th of 2006. i wonder if the kayak has been sitting in a hot storgage shed at the dealer for months and developed these dents?

heres a few pictures i took of the hull...any advice??

thanks!

Dan
http://www.skypixhelicam.com/IMG_8982
http://www.skypixhelicam.com/IMG_8984.JPG

Post subject: Photos
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:49 am 
Site Admin

It is difficult in photos, but it doesn't look pretty.

There is always some deformation due to differing shrink rates around scuppers and drive wells, but the side looks unusual to me. We might consider that hull to be a blem or second quality in the condition it is now. That likely is from stocage in hot conditions.

It still may be possible to pop some of it back with heat and air pressure.

Perhaps some more shots sent through your dealer?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks Matt

Ive got it in the sun with black plastic right now. Ill try the air trick and see if that works....if not should i just take it back to the dealer?
thanks
Dan

Post subject: Hull
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for all your effort to correct the problem on your own. If you are not satisfied, please do see your dealer about it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

the plastic and air method decreased the amount of indentation on the hull, but the "seam" between the center and the side portions of the hull still is not a smooth curve...it kind of bows on a concave arc in between the seat scuppers and drivewell...

i took the A out for a spin to see if it would affect the tracking. interestingly, with the rudder up, it will not go in a straight line when paddling or peddling....it will either turn to the left or right..the direction depends on any initial turning motion...and it will continue to turn in a full circle with a dimater of about 100ft....in either direction....

is this normal for the aventure without using the rudder or maybe its caused by the hull deformation?

reason i ask is the dealer is a bit of a drive away and im considering just keeping it as it is....

thanks
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:28 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

danshaw55 wrote:
.... with the rudder up, it will not go in a straight line when paddling or peddling....it will either turn to the left or right..the direction depends on any initial turning motion...and it will continue to turn in a full circle with a dimater of about 100ft....in either direction....is this normal for the aventure without using the rudder or maybe its caused by the hull deformation?
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum. My Adventure does the same thing; it's kind of a directional instability -- would have to say it's normal. If you still have a hull deformity though, this would be your best time to get it fixed or possibly ask for a price adjustment. 8)

Post subject: question for matt
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Matt

well, i tried what you said with the black plasitc and air and a day in the sun...the hull got pretty hot....too hot to touch for more than a second or two. but no luck....its still deformed particularly on one side of the hull. its noticable when you look down the hull from the bow or stern. also, the seam between the hull and the deck is assymetetrical from one side to the other...on one side its "s" shaped and on the other is a simple arc shaped.

i took the yak to the dealer where i bought it. was told they would fix it with heat. they put clear bubble wrap on top and left in the sun. later that day i picked it up. didnt look any better to me. i pointed that out to the salesman and he said it was normal to have some distortions. i looked at all the other adventures in the shop and they were all shaped better than mine. i wasnt getting anywhere with them so i just took the yak home, and was not impressed with there customer service. i was very polite with these guys and was treated like i was wasting their time. i just bought the thing from them a week earlier.

anyway, i wouldnt be so picky about it but when you look from the bow or stern you can obviously see the asssymetery of the hull and i fear its effecting the tracking.
is there any way i can get hobie to verify whether this hull is within the normal manufacturing toloerances of adventure hulls with more detailed photos or soemthing? Here are more pics i took after the dealer "fixed" it

http://www.skypixhelicam.com/yak.htm

the one image on the top is a before shot and the 3 below are after shots and i dont see much of a difference. the before shot is looking stern to the camera and the the after shots are looking bow to the camera. the major problem areas are circled in red. the red circle one on top...opposite the daggerboard side, is the worse side.

thanks!!
Dan Shaw

Post subject: Distorted bottom
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Distorted bottom...

Yes all have some distortions, but you should be happy with what you buy. We can offer the dealer a "blem" discount to help them sell the hull. I would hope thay can help you trade or receive an appropriate discount.

Blem discounts are handled by our sales department. Have the dealer contact them about it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I now have my third adventure hull. It is a bit better than the others. None can be called Fair. The dealer has been great, but if you want perfection, or near perfection, you will not get it. I wish they made the boat in a different material. I would pay more money for it. The "Island" looks great, but I think the humpy hull will make sail performance much less than the "smokin" review I read. The faster the hull goes through the water the more the humps are going to slow it down. Water is a thousand times more dense than air. I have been sailing folding Trimarans for more than 20 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

The "smokin" review was based on sailing the standard Island hull as you have...the Adventure with the basic rotomolded deformations. Yes, a carbon fiber Adventure Island would be even more SMOKIN!

Glad the dealer was able to swap out the hull for you.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)