Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drive Damaging Haul
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2012 Outback that has been in the water three times. Each time I have found the aft fin retaining ring damaged. I checked the haul near the aft fin retaining ring and found damage. I am not sure if this is an isolated issue or a design flaw that needs addressed.

I discovered that when the fin is flexed, as it would be in the water, the ring stands up and hits the haul. This is not an overdrive problem because the ring hits the haul before the fin gets close.

I took my drive to my dealer and told him about the haul damage. He said this was the first time he heard of the retaining ring damaging the haul but he has seen damaged retaining rings before. I told him I would like to try a stainless steel cotter pin in place of the retaining ring and he gave me a couple to try.

I do not know how thick the haul is in this area but eventually it could start leaking. I am not sure the cotter pin will fix this issue but it is worth a try.

Last edited by Greg SS396 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Drive Damaging Haul
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The hull is very thick in this area. It would take some serious damage to get through it. Each boat is different, but I would be suprised if the thinnest ones are less then 3/8" thick in the corner. The cotter pin should work well though. Like your dealer, I have seen a few smashed rings, but never any significant damage to the kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try taking a shorter stroke (or extend your pedals one hole forward in the adjustment)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are damaging the hull with the ring, then you need to adjust the peddle lenght. There would have to be hull slap to damage the rings. One last thing to consider is the misalignment of the drive in the well. Make sure the drive in not at an angle in the well. Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This shouldn't be happening (have never seen it on any of the 8 hulls I have had nor eard of it before from anyone else). At full stroke if the fin slaps the hull it should do so without doing any damage to drive or hull so shortening your pedal stroke should not be required (except that if you are constantly whacking the fins against the hull when you pedal you should consider the effect of this on drives, hull and environment and perhaps shorten your stroke or adjust the pedal position).

I suspect one of three potential issues:

1.Drive not inserted into drivewell correctly - this would seem the most likely to me so check it carefully off the water - the drive should sit level in the well front-back as well as side-side - it is possible to get the drive tipped down at either front or back and this could be the source of your problem - check carefully that when installed the ends of the drive sit where they are meant to sit.

2. Something wrong with the configuration of the drive - not sure what this might mean but if, for example, non-stnadard fittings were being used then the possibility of components hitting the hull might exist. If the problem is not caused by 1 check with your dealer (or a different dealer if you can).

3. A mis-shapen hull - I believe the drivewell area is "trimmed" during the manufacturing process - if this has not been done to the correct tolerances then this may cause a problem. If the problem is not caused by 1 or 2 check with a dealer.

Others better informed than I am may be able to add but I hope this helps get you on the right track.

Some photos might help the diagnosis!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As I said in my original post; this is not an overdrive problem because the ring hits the haul before the fin gets close. I fact the ring hits the haul when the tip of the fin is about 8” from the haul. I tried to post some pictures but cannot figure out how.

Jberier & Bcastile, I sent you both an email with pictures.

Last edited by Greg SS396 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i have replaced several rings and i have had this issue, almost lost a fin because a ring fell out and the pin fell out too, the fin was hanging on for dear life.

never knew what caused it tho.

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thrashie wrote:
i have replaced several rings and i have had this issue, almost lost a fin because a ring fell out and the pin fell out too, the fin was hanging on for dear life.

Thrashie, check your haul for damage. I sent you an email with some pictures and the solution I am going to try.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Greg SS396 wrote:
Thrashie wrote:

Thrashie, check your haul for damage. I sent you an email with some pictures and the solution I am going to try.

I dont see any hull damage, but even now my drive has bent rings on it again...the pic u sent me, that just might be the solution right there.

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the Outback the hull shape and drive well opening makes this happen - it is a cosmetic issue at best - the kayak will not have an issue...I stand by my earlier post, (yes we got your e mails, but the we didn't have anything beyond what we've stated here to add)

I still believe that if you put the pedal arm one hole further forward that you won't 'slap' the hull as hard - but even if you just keep on doing what you've been doing - there isn't going to be anything to worry about. I would think that you'd be more annoyed by the slapping / clunking sound that the fins are making against the bottom of your kayak than any distortion to the plastic... the boat can handle it, the plastic is super thick in all the edges, so it's not something we would worry about.
A cotter pin, I would think you'd have more issues - as this part is flexing in each stroke and I'd think that a cotter pin would fail in time, and if that pin (or in your proposed way with a cotter pin) were to fail, you lose the fin all together.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier, the fins are not hitting the haul when I am peddling. Look at the third picture in the email I sent to you, you can clearly see that the ring is hitting the haul and the tip of the fin is about 8” from the haul. After three outings I have a grove cut in my haul that is about 1/8” deep.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am very interested in seeing pictures of your problem. I can't promise any help but I am fairly mechanical and extremely curious. I also have an outback but haven't had this problem thankfully.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LazyLefty, I sent you the same attachment I sent to the Hobie Techs. I think it is a design problem that they do not understand yet. So far (one outing) the cotter pin is working fine.