Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A question to the more experienced people here. Where have you mounted your GPS, and/or fishfinder on the AI? If possible, could you post photos?

Cheers

Colin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mount a 1" ball mount just forward of each pocket on the gunnels, left for my GPS and right for my Fish Finder. I ran the transducer wire through the fitting into the hull and mounted the transducer to the bottom internally forward between the mast cup and the Mirage drive (out of the way). I tried an external transducer mount, but it made way to much noise at sailing speed.

The battery I actually mount in a waterproof box on deck, strapped to the aka xbar forward of the Mirage drive or aft behind the seat depending on how I'm loaded (trim). When not in use, the transducer wire is "capped", the terminals coated with di-electric grease, and stored out of the way in the right pocket.

Works well for me. Out of the way, but just within reach to press buttons. I can post more details of any part you wish.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Kayakingbob,

Thanks for the reply. That's great info.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like Bob's use of the padeye fitting.

Colinm, if you don't mind them being a little closer to the splash zone, the Aka crossbars are great places to mount electronics, using low profile RAM mounts. A little harder to read there, though.

You may prefer your electronics there if you are planning to use tramps or Hakas, so you can hike out without crashing into them.

Right vs left mounting is another consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

KayakingBob wrote:
I mount a 1" ball mount just forward of each pocket on the gunnels, left for my GPS and right for my Fish Finder. I ran the transducer wire through the fitting into the hull and mounted the transducer to the bottom internally forward between the mast cup and the Mirage drive (out of the way). I tried an external transducer mount, but it made way to much noise at sailing speed.

The battery I actually mount in a waterproof box on deck, strapped to the aka xbar forward of the Mirage drive or aft behind the seat depending on how I'm loaded (trim). When not in use, the transducer wire is "capped", the terminals coated with di-electric grease, and stored out of the way in the right pocket.

Works well for me. Out of the way, but just within reach to press buttons. I can post more details of any part you wish.

I must buy a Fishfinder & gps for my TI
-
I thought a lowrance elite 4 x dsi--elite 5 x dsi, your advice???
-
-
the transducer will be inside? external? What model coupled transducer tips?
-
-

very important: you can publish photos with details of how you placed and passed the wiring? battery solution, transducer etc etc.

-
-

I would avoid puncture and drill as close as possible to the kayak.
For this I would like to use and adopt the railblaza system for my fishing gear.
-
-

thank you

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought a Lowrance Elite4 DSI with chart plotter, and Lowrance scupper mount for the transducer. I was not sure there is enough room for the bigger model

I used RAM mounting equipment (some secondhand so please excuse the corrosion), using a plastic container to shield the unit from the worst of the water blast.

I used a scupper in the rear cargo area to minimise turbulence. While this means that the depth shown on the display might be more than the bow is experiencing, I do not see this as a big issue
(I have fitted a much taller version since for better shielding)
I have discarded the enveloping cover due to too many reflections.
Here is the top of the scupper transducer mount. The small container contains connectors for a small solar panel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's how I wired.

First, I removed the plastic padeye, drilled a hole, sized to the wire and then sliced behind it vertical and horizontal...

Then I used a deep socket to push open the 'pie slices' so wires and connectors would fit through...

looks like this...

After passing the wire through, I pushed the 'pie slices' back together from the inside...

I put a plastics washer and the plastic padeye onto the wire. The padeye was drilled just large enough to pass the wire, and then sliced with a knife so it could be spread open to fit the wire. I filled the everything with silicon adhesive before screwing back in the fitting.

The final results:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My battery I keep on deck, locating it attached to the forward aka x-bar or rear depending on load (for trim) and conditions. Here's a pic of it forward, the right Lock-n-lock. Just enough room for the battery and fuse.

The left one keeps my valuables dry and in sight (phone in waterproof bag, keys, drivers license, cards, spare rudder pin, etc.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have seen the idea of a Hobie gear bucket used as a battery holder posted in a couple of forums. I keep it in the rear hatch. Very functional, and I added a few extra twists to mine. Added a marine graded 12v lighter jack, solar controller, 3 fused connections, and a battery status indicator. 3ah battery runs for up to 6hrs supplying GPS and depthfinder. I recharge it via a small solar panel when out for too long or through a conventional charger using shore power. I use it in my AI and my Revo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mounted most of my accessories on the AI to the front Aka crossbar. Rather than drill holes, I used cable ties. They've proven to be very adequate and negated the need to drill any holes in the bar itself.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

on my TI. got the battery in a pelican box with a deck power connector for now, till i move it in hull

the ram ball will be for the Ram Transducer Arm when it comes in, i have already ordered it.

used an old cutting board for a base, and a ram V clamp mount with some rubber under it to keep it from slipping.

also, ask your hobie dealer if they have any old pro angler sideboards from warranty claims, i asked my dealer and they gave me some, granted they were cut in half, but the material is stilll great to use for this stuff like making the platform i did above (ok, so that was an old cutting board, but u get the idea)

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's mine.. I keep the battery in a bag... (this winter I will work on a better solution) and have the ducer on the rudder.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK the positioning of the Pathfinder
OK battery solutions (beautiful to JaxAI) Image

But the transducer positioning and product quality is very important to the sensitivity of the image, where the Insert (internal or external) and model types?? ok tonyscott Image

initials and please model you have chosen and why?

Image :?:

Image :?:

for example this is a lowrance transducer P79 internal specific boat (€ 125).
Nobody knows him and installed??
-

Image :?: :?: lowrance P79 internal boat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lowrance P79 internal boat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, I just fitted the Lowrance scupper mount. This is a universal kit for different scupper sizes, although it is obviously optimised to fit Lowrance transducers
http://www.lowrance.com.au/Products/Mar ... per-Mount/
I chose to fit mine in the aft scuppers on my TI, which obviously means that my Elite4 shows images (and depths from the rear of the boat. If the water is getting too shallow, I can tell by the reducing depth numbers, plus of course seeing the bottom with my eyes