It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

3 words....

Get a trailer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Picked up the trailer yesterday. I'm so glad I didn't win the auction for th 10-year old Trailex model, as I would have not kept looking and found this one.

The trailer is made by Triton Trailers and they just started making two models specifically for kayaks. What they did was take their model they made for Jon boats, removed the bunks and winch arm, and added an "A" frame to hold the kayaks.

I chose the 4-place model, but they offer a 6-place as well. This was by far the best deal I found on an all aluminum kayak trailer.

Picking it up at the dealer

Added bonus, the trailer jack is not a standard item, but mine came with one installed.

Nice touch on protecting the wiring for the lights. This is a metal braided shield surrounding the wiring.

The tail lights are nicely protected inside the aluminum channel.

Got it home and loaded up the new Revolutions for the first time. I definately wouldn't have enjoyed lifting these up on top of a roof rack.

These are just temporarily tied down enough for me to move the trailer around the driveway and get it put away in my barn. I need to pick up some more tie downs specifically for the kayaks. The cart won't be transported in that position either, I was just setting it up for the first time.

My plans are to install a Thule or Yakima cargo box on the trailer where the fourth kayak would normally go. This would be to safely and securly store the Mirage drives, oars, life jackets, etc. I'll probably have to make some customization to the trailer to mount a cargo box, as I believe these rails for the kayaks are too far apart and probably too big also. I can tig weld aluminum, so I should be able to come up with something.

Looking for suggestions and ideas on how you all secure your kayaks to your trailers and roof racks to prevent theft. My intitial thoughts are some sort of locking cable through the opening for the Mirage drive. I would appreciate any photos or advice on how you secure yours.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Coated cable through the Mirage drive well or maybe scupper holes. Loop through all of them and through parts of the trailer, then lock.