Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CA - West Coast Sailing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The nearest "any day" sailing for my Hobie AI is out of Oceanside harbor and I enjoy taking it out into the ocean. I have also sailed San Diego Bay while the Tall Ships were there, Mission Bay, and also at Dana Point, which is upscale and very nice.

I am thinking of trying some new boat launch sites on the California coast this summer. Do you have a favorite to recommend to me, and maybe a few details about why you like it? I'd love to get some input.

musicalbruce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't think it's as nice as the places you mentioned but if you want to sail more of the coast I'd recommend launching out of Kiddie Beach in Channel Islands Harbor. Easy accessible parking with a very short walk over the sand to the water. Very well protected and very close to the mouth of the harbor with quick access to the ocean. Not as protected but mostly calm is the Malibu pier but parking is a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

not sure if you read following link http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12914 where kbteachme talks about his cool tricat. his video was shot from dana point harbor - looks like a nice place to sail.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How difficult is it to launch from Oceanside Harbor? I have an 18 and don't use a motor. My concern is the surge as you approach the open ocean.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My two favs are Kiddie Beach in Channel Islands and Mothers Beach in MDR then out to the ocean. From MDR I've gone up and down the coast but a few miles out to see the sea life. From Kiddie Beach in Channel Islands, I went to Anacapa and back.
Please note: Weather and waves are far less dangerous than idiots in big boats that have auto-pilot on and no one at the helm.
My AI is loaded because I am a bit crazy and Hobies can take it. VHF handheld, Lowrance Elite 4 Gold, Spot and a strobe on my PDF just in case.

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy