Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Boat has been sitting outside with only the tramp being covered and the blue hulls are quite faded. How would you recommend that I refresh them? I have a buffer and have buffed cars in the past and I am pretty comfortable with that...

How about:

1- Sanding with 600 or higher sandpaper (wet or not?)
2- Buff with a compount
3- Carnuba wax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:11 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Unfortunately, once the pigment has faded, there's nothing you can do to bring back the color. You can sand and polish all you want, but you'll just end up with a shiny, faded boat.

Of the colors that fade, blue is probably the best at holding its color. Red / orange is the worst.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
Unfortunately, once the pigment has faded, there's nothing you can do to bring back the color. You can sand and polish all you want, but you'll just end up with a shiny, faded boat.

Of the colors that fade, blue is probably the best at holding its color. Red / orange is the worst.

Interesting! :?

How about a blue pigmented wax?

What are the solutions to make this baby look like new? :?:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It aint gonna be cheap, but a high-quality paint job would do it. I've heard the brand name Imron bandied about as an option.

cramsailing.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

rehmbo wrote:
It aint gonna be cheap, but a high-quality paint job would do it. I've heard the brand name Imron bandied about as an option.

What sort of "ain't cheap price" are we talking about and is it really worth it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

RockyPointRookie wrote:
What are the solutions to make this baby look like new? :?:

RockyPointRookie wrote:
What sort of "ain't cheap price" are we talking about and is it really worth it?

You've discovered the great dichotomy of boat restoration. You want it to "look like new", but you want it cheaply. Ain't gonna happen.

Imron is very top end. About $100 a quart. And it'll take a couple of quarts, plus primer, to do the job right. It needs to be sprayed. In a booth. With significant protection for the person spraying (respirator, not a mask - the stuff is really nasty). You're looking at about a $1000 paint job with that stuff. But the boat will look new again.

Any painter will tell you that the paint job is only as good as the surface prep. Any high-gloss finish will gloriously display every single surface defect that you never knew was there. The glossier the finish, the more you'll see. You can't get away with half-assed surface prep.

All of that being said, many people have expressed success with the Interlux "Brightsides" product. It's reasonably priced (~$30/qt.) and can be rolled/tipped on with good results - as long as you're willing to take the time to prep the surface properly.

At the end of the day, though - it's still an old boat. It will work just as well faded as it will painted.

There's a lesson to be learned from the guy (on these forums) who did a fabulous job painting his old boat, then decorated it with a tiki-style design, only to have it break up the first time he took it out. He could have saved himself a whole lot of work by sailing it first.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I never said I wanted it cheap, I want to do it as cost effectively as possible. Secondly and most importantly, I am in Mexico, I am thinking that I can probably get a professional to do it at a reasonable price if I decide to go that route.

I love the end story of that last post and plan on taking it sailing first and foremost then see what I do to get it in better looking shape.

It is just that I am pretty anal and peculiar with my things in that I really take care of my things and try to keep them looking as new as possible for as long as possible.

In trying to prevent further fading, if I cannot store it in a garage, what do you recommend I do? Are there any custom made covers that one can get to cover the hulls?

I am not in Mexcio right now, I am to return there on the 19th after which time I may post a few pictures to show all of you pros what we are looking at!

Thanks again to all for their nice intelligent and non sarcastic responses!

:D :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will say it again buff the hulls Then poly glow them It brought my dull faded hulls on my 21se back to life My hulls look like new

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

gary eudy wrote:
I will say it again buff the hulls Then poly glow them It brought my dull faded hulls on my 21se back to life My hulls look like new

I like that! Worth giving it a try, but like I said, I will take pictures and post on the 19th, then take it for a sail, then look at my options!

When you say buff, buff it with a buffing compound and a buffer; correct?

Where can I get this "poly glow" stuff?

What color are your hulls, how old is the boat?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie 21SE is a 1989 Stars and Stripes model DARK BLUE hulls
Color had faded to white chalk color
I did buff the hulls with polshing compound
Poli Glow made it look like new and has kept it that way
also boat is easier to wash and stays cleaner
Look on the internet for the website and demo
Only problem is the cost is a little high but this should be a lifetime supply for one Hobie 16 do you have a hobie friend to share
I have two hobies one keel boat and a 24' CC and one order has lasted three years
If only Hobie Matt could see about getting Poli Glow to make a Hobie special size
I used to be Hobie Admiral Gary :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gary eudy wrote:
Hobie 21SE is a 1989 Stars and Stripes model DARK BLUE hulls
Color had faded to white chalk color
I did buff the hulls with polshing compound
Poli Glow made it look like new and has kept it that way
also boat is easier to wash and stays cleaner
Look on the internet for the website and demo
Only problem is the cost is a little high but this should be a lifetime supply for one Hobie 16 do you have a hobie friend to share
I have two hobies one keel boat and a 24' CC and one order has lasted three years
If only Hobie Matt could see about getting Poli Glow to make a Hobie special size
I used to be Hobie Admiral Gary :D :D

THANKS!

I am so thankful to have "fallen onto" this forum, what a great bunch of friendly and helpful sailors. (NOT like many forums that I have posted in for one thing or another where sometimes you feel unwelcome and you get sarcastic responses to basic questions!)

THAAAAAANKS! :lol: :P :mrgreen: :D