Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Leaki wing pockets
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
The short story is that there is wing tube structure in the way if you approach from the bottom. It's much easier to go at it from the top.

Even on the 18?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

jmecky wrote:
MBounds wrote:
The short story is that there is wing tube structure in the way if you approach from the bottom. It's much easier to go at it from the top.

Even on the 18?

Last time I checked, the 18 doesn't have wing tubes . . .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just found the missing end cap to one of my wing tubes. It is in the pocket. Still have to figure out how to get it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Use a coat hanger (or other stiff wire). Bend a short hook in the end, fish it down the wing tube and catch either the tail of the rivet sticking out of the end cap or the rivet hole.

Work both sides of the end cap until it comes loose.

Been there, done that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've used coat hanger as MBounds suggested to make it loose, then used a vacuum to suck the cap out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I managed to fish it out over the weekend with coat hanger type device. I also discovered where the primary leak in that pocket was at the time. It looks like it should not be too bad to fix that one at least.

I ran into another problem this weekend. in fixing my soft spot. I had mistakenly drilled clear through in several spots. I was able to fix this easy enough by using a counter sink bit to widen the top a bit. I then brushed on some un-thickened Wests epoxy in each widened hole then added some 406 to thicken the rest and kind of puttyed it into the holes with the Wests mixing stick. This work pretty well I happy with it.

The problem was when I continued to work on the repair and got to injecting I could not seem to get anywhere. I was trying a couple syringes from the farm store. one had to use an adapter to get to the size I needed the other did not. The adapter one did not work out so well so I quickly switched and it was better but I really did not feel like the epoxy was going anywhere. I started towards the center so it could work out towards the outside an use those as breathers. I figured I maybe that one would not go so moved on to another but really did not have any better results. I was using un-thickened West Systems with no thinners because I had read it was not as strong when thinned. Is this where I went wrong?

I eventually quit and scraped off and cleaned up the goops on the masking tape as best I could so it did not make it to hard to sand later but I most of it undone.

Maybe I need to look at a little more hard core repair here. I considering just sanding it down ot the glass and putting a couple more layers on top the deck. This is an old boat it has had many repairs and was pretty much given to me so I plan to try to do anything myself. i do not want to sink a ton into it just get it safe to sail. If I can do that I'll consider beautifying it later.