Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

First:
My tiller extension is ~10 foot length and is anodised aluminium tube, 15mm (0.6 inch) diameter.
I have a lot of trouble holding it - too thin, too slippery, even with gloves.

A carbon extension is way too expensive, around AU$400 with shipping.

Is there a sleeve available that will do the job, or should I just wind braided cord around to form a more acceptable grip?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Second:
About wings tubes and ease of inserting wings and getting them out. It can be an official pain in the butt, certainly for me, and inevitably stresses the pockets.
This has come up before in the forum. One solution offered was McLube and I tried that. It was helpful going in, not so good coming out. I suspect that when mixed with seawater it lost most of its efficacy.
Last sail I flushed out my pockets and siphoned all the water out. I then used a silicone spray on the tubes and the pockets. The effect was dramatic, the wings slid in almost effortlessly, and removal nearly as good. The product is sold in Oz under a Motortech brand and is simply a silicone spray. It does leave a residual but is perfectly clear. The damn stuff works.
I would suggest though that it may make re-painting (if anyone does that) slightly difficult. Maybe get advice about whether it can be completely removed or neutralised so that paint/epoxy can stick on affected area. I think McLube is a Teflon based aid, and might not have the same concerns. I would not suggest the silicon goes anywhere near sails. I will pull my rudders down this week and lube the sliding parts with the silicone, especially in the cam area - probably use a silicone grease in there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

gmhendo wrote:
A carbon extension is way too expensive, around AU$400 with shipping.

Get a Hot Stick 63-120" FX6 $165.00.
A good grip and will let you hike of the wings.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Two 60" lengths of 1/2" OD carbon fiber tubing ~$60 USD each
Joining sleeve about $10 USD

Re-use the hardware from your old tiller extension.

= new, carbon fiber tiller for $130.

http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Many thanks for the replies.
I was able to locate an unwanted FX6 for just under $200 incl. shipping. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hot stick fitted in minutes, looks like a perfect fix for my problems. Thanks for the advice!
With all respect to MBounds more economical suggestion, I think the adjustable length of the Hot stick probably justifies the extra cost, although the carbon tube would be much lighter than the Hot stick. Also I was cautioned about using "pull tube" carbon unless it had an Arymid (kevlar) wrap externally. Apparently pull tube has a propensity to de-laminate, and the kevlar holds it together.