Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: now which one
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all....I am pretty new to this and I literally just finished demoing about 5 different kayaks and was getting ready to pull the trigger on a PA14 and now I see the PA12 just announced. Throwing me a curve. What do you all think the pros and cons are of the 12 vs 14. Just curious your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: now which one
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, judging from the announcement that Hobie will begin delivering in June, and that dealers were limited to two in their first order, versus the fact that you can get a PA14 right this minute...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That depends on what sold you on the PA14 and what made you actually try anything else...
If the weight is a concern than go with the 12, if you want more storage than go with the 14.

My guess is that not having either one you will love which ever one you choose, but from my standpoint of having a 14, choosing the 12 feels like I am giving up a lot of the things I like... to get a boat that is a little lighter, shorter but has a few nice features.

If you are willing to wait than I would wait till you can demo the PA12 to see if you like it more but my guess is you would love the PA14 just as much, if not better

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

honestly the only feature I wish I had on my 14 is the ability to have the steering on the right side.

You lose significant length and capacity, for a few pounds. Personally, i like the current tackle storage better. The seat looks nice but the current seat is already rediculously comfortable, i'm not sure the new one can be that much of an improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only thing I would like to have on my PA14 might be the seat and that does look really nice, but the flooring is totally different on the PA14. I'm really happy with the current PA14 seat and the slider I installed. Since I use Humminbird equipment, I'm not sure if the Lowrance setup is compatible or can be adapted to work.

I agree with Tom's remarks regarding the PA12. It really depends on what your individual preferences are. If you're wanting a shorter fishing platform, then the PA12 is the ticket. It will be interesting going forward to see if Hobie does change anything on new models of the PA14 to incorporate any of the features of the PA12.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone. When I had demo'd all the yaks (not the PA12 of course) I decided on the PA14 from a stability and versatility/functional standpoint of it seems to me of being a great fishing platform. In the back of my head I was and still am a little leery about the day to day dealing with its weight and length but was willing to suck it up (if you will). Also the fact that I could potentially take my young son out on it every once in a while was great (given we are catching something if we aren't catching anything he'll get bored on me and that is no fun :D )

I am thinking taking the kiddo out probably won't work the same on the PA12. But I love the idea that the PA12 won't stick out the back of my truck as much and it being lighter. I am also guessing (not sure though) that it would be more maneuverable and maybe a little quicker?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:07 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

To answer a couple questions...

The Lowrance ready system will also work with your Humminbird fishfinders. We will have tranducer mounts available that will attach in. There are also several through hull wiring plugs to match the type of system you use. It's just that it's already to go with Lowrance as it comes.

jslager - We do offer a kit that can move your steering to the right side. It's part number 84506201 and on page 50 of our catalog.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brendan,

Thanks for the update on the transducer mount and how it relates to Humminbird products. Quick question...will the paddle clip that allows you to mount the paddle to the side rail on the PA12 work on the PA14? I've been toying with how to mount my paddle (single or double paddle). If it will work, do you know the availability of that part? Thanks!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That mount will work on any kayak (including PA14) - it's just a Scotty paddle clip 136 - you can buy them from a variety of places.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bcastile wrote:
The Lowrance ready system will also work with your Humminbird fishfinders. We will have tranducer mounts available that will attach in. There are also several through hull wiring plugs to match the type of system you use. It's just that it's already to go with Lowrance as it comes.

Will the Humminbird transducer mounts be included with the PA 12 or will you have to purchase separately?

Also, will the square center hatch have a bucket option if you do not wish to use the tackle boxes?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boat comes complete with all of the wire through-hull fittings, you will need a small adapter for the bottom transducer mount - maybe a $10 part
The tackle management system is standard - but there is an optional bucket that will fit in that hatch as well - it is an option though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bcastile wrote:
jslager - We do offer a kit that can move your steering to the right side. It's part number 84506201 and on page 50 of our catalog.

How did I not know this after owning it for a year? Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:06 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The kit was originally designed to give owners of older boats (seat mounted steering) the option to mount the control to the boat. It works the same for the newer version to swap to the right side.