Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New PA 12
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I must say that I like the PA12's side handle mounted paddle holder and ambidextrous steering controls. Great ideas - somebody should be commended.

I have certainly enjoyed both of those features on my PA14 these past couple of years.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I must say that I like the PA12's side handle mounted paddle holder

X2!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cost the same as its big brother. Austin kayak has it on there website

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As a potentialy interested buyer, but not yet convinced, how do you PA owners rate them in windy/choppy conditions? It's amazing how much promotional material features calm sunny conditions. But those comfy seats and the abiltiy to stand and cast are very tempting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

charlief wrote:
As a potentialy interested buyer, but not yet convinced, how do you PA owners rate them in windy/choppy conditions? It's amazing how much promotional material features calm sunny conditions. But those comfy seats and the abiltiy to stand and cast are very tempting.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5NUVZL9HUY

--

Salt: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeb5zOGDfoKlEPsMK5GBUOge_Qz5u2koH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mine is fine in rough conditions. How rough are we talking?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:44 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

The steering is really slick. On one side you have the low profile knob and the other has the larger handle. They can easily be switched, or you can put two knobs or two large handles on.

The seat and center tackle storage are may favorite parts I think. You'll have to see them in person to fully appreciate them though. Built in trolley mounts are super handy too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
[Mine is fine in rough conditions. How rough are we talking?/quote]

Up to a 4 maybe 5 feet of swell max with a solid wind on it. If it gets too rough I'll dig the garden instead.

Quote:
Here:

Thanks - looks it handles a little like the Outback in the chop. Don't want to hijack this thread. Will keep watching with interest as the PA12 looks like it would handle most of the spots I fish very well. In the meantime will continue to enjoy my Outback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I THINK I WOUL DSELL MY 14 FOR THE NEW 12 I HAVE A 2012 1 WEEK OLD I MAY HAVE TO DO IT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As usual I by a new 2012 Pro Angler and the change everything with outstanding features. It still makes me mad and you know the 14 for 2013 will be the same. Just don't know why Hobie does this stuff why would you change one without other. And knowing Hobie they won't make replacements for older models even though mine is a brand new 2012!!! The ability to switch steering sides because I'm a lefty and would like it on the right. The transducer plate is a great idea FINALLY!!! To me Hobie slapped loyal customers in face!!! I own a 2010 Outback and just bought the Pro Angler 14! Wonderful!!!!!! Glad I got that out!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings Ya'll! This is my first post though I've been looking at this forum like a hawk. I've gone back in the history of this forum...all 15 pages that is, and read the posts that were interesting to me. I have learned so much from everyone here, Youtube, and other kayaking websites to the extent that I feel like an expert without actually owning one. :oops: So, now that the PA 12 is here, with it's new bells and whistles I can honestly say...Absolutely not, no way, I'm not even tempted to consider the PA 12.

1. The seat looks awesome! The video I saw showed a fella who weighed somewhere around 150 maybe 175 lbs. and did a pretty good job of filling the seat. I'm afraid a 300 lb loveable lug like myself would actually break this thing. What's the payload for this seat? What condition would the chair be in after a year of fishing a minimum once per week...year round? And I take very good care of my equipment. I have little confidence in the string used for adjusting the seat. I have even less confidence in the hardware used for raising the back of the seat to the up position. Again, being 300 lbs. I gotta have everything "Heavy Duty" to maintain safety.

2. There's only 18 lbs difference (rigged weight) between the two. The features of the PA 14 are worth keeping. I wouldn't want to trade an existing feature to save 18 lbs.

3. I think installing that sliding chair mount on the PA 14 to gain an extra 2" in height and accessibility is downright brilliant.

4. I agree, the port and starboard rails are set back too far on the PA 12. Maybe they did that to accommodate the steering. Don't know.

5. Who ever thought that folding up the seat on the PA 12 to expose more reel estate for sight fishing, knocked it right out of the park. WOW! :o :o :o

I apologize for the length of this post, commenting on multiple subjects, and doing so as a brand new member. However, I look very forward to getting to know you all and making new friends.

Cheers Ya'll. :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am glad I got the 14' because it handles better in the chop and wind. Plus being shorter on the width may make it harder to stand. And the price is the same for a smaller boat! does that mean the 14' is going up?

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:18 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

BEREEL - We have always offered replacement parts to older models. I am not sure what you have that you can't get a repalcement part for. Please let us know and we can probably find something for you.

Whether or not the PA14 adapts some of these new features will be up to engineering to determine if it will work. It's a major job to alter the molds.

You can put right side steering on your PA14. It's in our catalog on page 50. Part number 84506201.

I'm not following how introducing a new product with innovative designs is a slap in the face. This is what we're known for. Pushing our products to be better all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Only have one question on the new PA 12. Besides the name being on the transducer plate, can the “Lowrance Ready” transducer mount take a Hummingbird transducer?

Proper
Pervious
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance
Basically, plan ahead or plan to fail.

Papaya Hobie Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Positive:
WOW...I like it a lot...would like to add it to my Hobie collection.

Negative:
Thought the pricing would be less than the 14...going to be hard to sway the avg folks on the fence (between the Native Mariner 12.5 and the PA12) Most of these guys are throw the Yak in back of the pickup and go types. I see more and more guys leaning towards the Mariner. Price is a big issue...especially amongst the younger generation. Just my .02 cents worth.

But...still want to see one and test it out for myself!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next