Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib Failure
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Out on the water last weekend. Was pushing the boat hard in 15-20knots, trapped out. All of a sudden BANG I see the jib start falling, the mast leaned back and only the stepping forstay holding it up. The wire that runs in the jib luff that holds the tension snapped. I replaced all rigging on the boat this season but didnt bother to replace the wire in my 20 year old JIB. Looking at the wire (once snapped) showed rust and coorsion. Only a matter of time I guess.

my question is..is it possible to just purchase a new jib luff wire for my sail? I havent been able to find this wire and wouldn't know how to install it if I could find it. The jib is in otherwise great conditions its just now missing the luff wire.

Also I sailed for the first time with my new Salsa 5/16 mainsheet. I like the feel of the line but it kept coming uncleated from my swivel cleat on the rear crossbar. This cleat is the old metal seaway cleat and as I have replaced all other blocks and cleats on the boat I might as well replace this one too. What part number do you all recommend for a replacement rear swivel that will hold my new 5/16 line snug.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Jib Failure
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

icegeek813 - The same thing happened to me about 20 years ago on my H16. Just bring your jib to a sail maker. He'll know what to do.
Richard