Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: To be fair
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MidTNKayakAngler wrote:
The only thing I could think about was performing this flat in a 12' PA where I could turn a little quicker.

I am not to sure that a 12 PA will turn any quicker then the 14 PA. When I want to turn quicker, I simply place my paddle in the water on the side I want to turn and let the resistance do the work of the turn. Simple quick and clean. Just a little arm strength is required.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I couldnt agree more. I took my PA14 out last week on a small river in southern Tennessee and it worked like a charm. My brother had his SOT and it was fine for him also but my PA handled great in the skinny swift water and I could really move it when I needed to.

" Its all fun and games until somebody gets hurt, then its hilarious"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MidTNKayakAngler wrote:
Well I gotta say I've had this kayak for over two years and have always used other "River" kayaks when fishing these areas because I was always told "you can't take that in a river". We'll I did and I liked it.

Great story! I'm curious...how swift was the current? We've got several rivers here but I'm not so sure about wanting to navigate them in a PA.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

iceflyer7 wrote:
MidTNKayakAngler wrote:
Well I gotta say I've had this kayak for over two years and have always used other "River" kayaks when fishing these areas because I was always told "you can't take that in a river". We'll I did and I liked it.

Great story! I'm curious...how swift was the current? We've got several rivers here but I'm not so sure about wanting to navigate them in a PA.

Thanks.

The few weeks ago when I took the PA to the small river there wasn't much current, just in the shoals it was quick. I have taken the PA in much larger rivers below dams in some pretty crazy current where the water was flowing so fast you had to constantly be pedaling as fast as possible or you would be going backward, and the water was crashing so hard from the dam it looked to be raining. There I had no problems either but the turning was a lot more touchy.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mayfield6 wrote:
I couldnt agree more. I took my PA14 out last week on a small river in southern Tennessee and it worked like a charm. My brother had his SOT and it was fine for him also but my PA handled great in the skinny swift water and I could really move it when I needed to.

Where at in southern Tennessee? I'm up near Nashville shoot me a PM and we'll get together. We have a pretty good local group here, and wanting to start having mini tournies, and just get togethers maybe with some camping involved.

Jeremy