Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was interested in mounting a small compass that could be easily removed for storage, as well as easily transferred between my two yaks-a Hobie Outback and my wife's Hobie Sport. I had just finished mounting two new RAM ball mounts forward on my OB, and thus had two spare, forward built-in rodholders that I probably was not going to use all that much. Aha-why not use one of these to mount my small Optronics marine Compass from W-M, but how? I decided to use a combination of a 1 1/4 inch wooden dowel inserted in a piece of 1 1/4 inch Schedule 40 PVC.

At upper left we have the Optronics CP-101 Marine Compass from W-M (about $10). Upper center is a countersink that I used on the PVC to insert the #8 x 3/4 inch SS oval head sheet metal screws into the PVC and wooden dowel.

At top right is the 5 inch length of PVC with the wooden dowel secured inside. Note the piece of 6 inch steel leader attached to the lower SS screw. This is for one reason only--to be able to easily pull the PVC/dowel compass mount out of the rodholder. Middle center is the 6-32 1 1/2 inch SS pan head slotted screw that I used to replace the non-SS hinge screw in the compass. Unfortunately, Lowe's had only this length so I had to use a pair of small bolt cutters to snip off the screw end after attaching the Nylock nut. Third down (center) are the two #6 x 3/4 oval head SS screws that will be used to attach the compass to the upper part of the PVC/dowel mount.

This shows the compass folded back to reveal the two #6 x 3/4 SS sheet metal screws used to attach the compass to the wooden dowel inside the PVC pipe.

Here is the rig, ready to be inserted into the built-in Hobie forward port-side rodholder.

Finally, here is the completed installation just behind the RAM rocket launcher rodholder on the port side.

Last edited by Apalach on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Apalach, thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dawned on me that with the mast tube set where it is on the Outback, a instrument panel type compass is out of the question, and there it is - another Apalach solution. Makes sense.
I also want to thank you for your detailed instructions on using the Ram tubes to mount outriggers (AMA). Got that done last weekend, took the yak out and the added stability allows this fat guy to turn around and access something in the tankwell without capsizing (and that was a problem). My better half took it out and loved the added stability, so guess what I'm doing this weekend! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MisterT,
Yep--I really liked that instrument panel compass also, but was not sure how readable it would be at that distance, along with your concerns. But after a fishing trip yesterday during which I took the Sport, now I have to figure out a new strategy for mounting a compass there. No forward built-ins, plus the screws on the side of the PVC tube make it too large to fit in the RAM tube. I may have to really use that countersink to make it work! Glad your outriggers worked out satisfactorily. They are nice to have as a "Plan B," and maybe even as a Plan A!
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach..
I just wanted to tell you.. You are the MOST inventive.. creative person about a kayak I have ever seen. I have had the pleasure to read most of what you have wrote and thought.. what a GREAT idea. I've only had my '05 OB for a little over a week now... (had a mainstream before that)and I need a second job now to provide for my addiction. LOL I need someone to stop me... I've fallen.. and I can't get up.... HAHAHA

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your useful information!!! :D
Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Pam,
A hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum, and especially to another NoFla folk. Glad my posts have ben helpful to you, and congrats on the new OB--ya gotta love that hands-free fishing with the Mirage Drive!
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Apalach!!! Oh yes... your information is very useful! Thanks! I do LOVE that Outback! I can safely say.. it is the best "Fishing Machine" to this day!! I could not believe how wonderful it is to be able to fish and troll.. and not have to paddle.. fish.. paddle.. fish... until I got to where I was going. Then.. in no time at all... I had to keep paddling back to where I was. The OB is something else.. I can't get enough fishing now!! :D I want to stay out there all of the time. Unfortunately.. I have to work to support my habit!! lol

Yes.. it's awesome living around here.. with every kind of water there is!! It's a kayak heaven!! :D

Thanks again!! I look forward to all your future posts also!
Pam