Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a Tiger from a guy in Santa Barbara in 2006. He was getting ready to move to Maine, and needed to sell the boat. Seemed like a good guy, we did most of the necessary paperwork, gave him a check, and drove off with the boat. All that was left was for him to file the paper with the DMV, and to do this he needed to get paperwork from his credit union. I gave him a check and drove off with the boat, which turned out to be a mistake!

The seller moved to Maine, and never completed the paperwork. I reminded him a couple times, then lost contact, as his email address stopped working. In the meantime, we took the boat out a few times, but it turned out to be morre difficult than anticipated to rig (we used to have a Hobie 16), and not very comfortable to sail. My wife and kids quickly lost interest, and the boat has been sitting, unused, for several years.

We are now trying to sell it or give it away to charity, but we need to register it to do so. When we went to DMV, they gave us a list of stuff to obtain - letter from the seller confirming he sold us the boat, release of lien from credit union, explanation for a bill of sales that had been apparently submitted for a different name than ours. In short, a mess.

We have tried to track the seller down, it seems maybe he has returned to Santa Barbara. Obtained an address from one of those "people-finder" services on the web, called and sent certified mail, but got no response to either. (The person's name is Tony, if he sounds familiar, PM me and I will give you his last name.)

We just want to give the boat away, or sell it for whatever we can get. Seems the only option is to go to court to try to get title, which would be time consuming and expensive. Only other option seems to be to find a junkyard somewhere, which would be a real shame.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Or, by chance, interested in making me an offer to take it off my hands, title problems included (to fix title, or even just to use for spare parts)? In am in the SF Bay Area.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

the guys at SFF-18 are looking for a mast and a hull.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Im not in Cali but in Texas you can file for a bonded title it takes a little longer but you dont need to go to court. I would call the DMV and ask about getting a bonded title. If the DMV have the name of the seller on file and its the same name you wrote the check out too I would John Hankcock the title application since you know the boats not stolen. The big question is the lien paid off I would start with that first if you can get the release of lien then its worth the time to complete the rest of the paperwork.

Do not take it to a junk yard!! If you do decide to part out I would be interested in some parts as well.

10 Mile Surfside, Texas
Join us on our Facebook group: Surfside Sailing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, a friend of me is going to california in a pair of months, we are From Argentina South america, i don´t need any kind of papers, i just can aarange to get the boat to my country!!

REGARDS
Gonzalo Argentina :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the responses. Sure glad I found this forum...

I have taken a bunch of pictures of the boat and equipment. You can see them at http://chateaubeeks-dot-smugmug-dot-com ... iger-Pics/. The boat has been stored uncovered for the past three years or so. Sails have been kept in the box below the trailer; main, jib, and spinnaker seem in good shape, spare jib has some mildew. There was some rainwater in the box when I opened it, but no evidence of critters. Trailer looks OK, but should be checked carefully prior to taking it on the road. I think it was originally homemade.

The boat was sailed in the 2005 Hobie Tiger Worlds in Santa Barbara, according to the seller. I think the boat is a 2002 or 2003, but am not sure. I bought it for $9,800 in May 2006.

I really do not know what price to suggest, as the boat cannot be registered. I'd like to sell it as soon as possible, and I'd like to be fair to everyone who has replied. So, if you are interested, please send me an offer (any offer, non-binding in any way of course!) and let me know when you'd be able to come by (I live in Danville, CA) and take a look. I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon before I contact the person with the best offer (main factors are price, and how quickly you could take possession).

Any questions, PM me, or ask them here, and I will be happy to answer them. So happy that it looks like the boat may find a good home!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jean L. THX for the Tiger.
Now that she has found a new home......

Let's here what the forum crew has to say about what I should look for when taking inventory on this new ride!
What is the best bang for the buck upgrade for an older (2002) Tiger and how would you rank them?:
WildCat rudders, SNU snuffer, trampoline, full batten jib and dump the furler, round boom, WildCat dagerboards....
When we get to racing she will be raced F18 not OD Tiger. If that makes a difference in your ranking above.
We know for sure all standing rigging will be replaced.
We plan on using the existing sails to train and learn the boat.

THX,
Dray & Dakine Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Snuffer SNU is my first and best bet. We just had a clinic where we got trained on the boats and had a coach on the boat. He said my Tiger with SNU was the best launching and snuffing of the group which included 2 Wildcats, 2 Tigers a Capricorn and an Infusion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For this boat (having seen the pictures)
I'd get a new spinnaker and launch it with a SNU snuffer. That will get you the biggest performance gains of anything else I saw in the pictures.
Dump the furler, and lower the jib down as far as you're allowed. Simplifies the rigging and adds some small measure of performance as a very low cost.

Clean that sucker up and you'll be in the mix soon enough. Then later you can upgrade all the other items.
1. STX Main
2. Battened Jib
3. Round Boom

Stock Daggers and Stock Rudders will do you fine for quite a while. And are debatable on any performance gains. You would probably do better by upgrading to carbon versions. There are sets available at reasonable cost as sailors separate out all their extras when they move to a newer/different model.

Don't be in a big rush to dump a lot of money into it until you're sure that's what is holding you back. A clean, well faired rig, and a nice new spinnaker will ensure you're boat is at least fairly competitive. You need to go over every element of tuning also. Lots to learn and tweak on these boats.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rich & Don,
Thanks for your replies. We are looking at getting the SNU snuffer and are taking the boat in to get the dager tips repaired and the bottoms gelcoated.
Will be getting a new trampoline, any suggestions? like is the older style OK or do you like the newer style?
I worked at a rigging shop so no problem with wire, rope and hardware.
Oh, and the rigging shop was also an Ullman loft so sails are no problem either.
Where would I find the jib tack fitting for when I take off the furler???
Is that a Hobie part? Are you there JB or MM?
Thanks again and I'm sure I'll have more q's after the boat get's wet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dray
If your in the bay area I recommend Craig at Elkhorn Composites for the boat bottom and Daggers. He has done most of the repaires to the cat fleet in the area. He knows the Tiger well.

To take off the furler you need the eye bolt. Chain plate and new forstay. You will also need to make a new halyard, or I can make one for you for the cost of materials plus a couple bucks.

If you don't want to do the chain plate on the forstay there are a few adjusters that will take it's place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dray wrote:
Where would I find the jib tack fitting for when I take off the furler???
Is that a Hobie part? Are you there JB or MM?

Yes - all items are available through any Hobie Catamaran dealer. (including new sails - I honestly believe that the stock STX sails built in the Ullman Italy loft are the best on the market and priced very competitively. We even have a nice set of Blue ones in stock (Rich V will vouch for those, that they do look awesome)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes the blue look really good on a tiger if I do say so myself.

F99220134 bolt eye

F99220019 nut

F18060518 FORESTAY TIGER w/PIGTAIL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The boat was dropped off at Elkhorn yesterday.
So, the ullman sails are the stock sails from Hobie! That's good to know!
The boat is getting shipped to Hawaii after glass work is done and a new pole and SNU snuffer are added. all wire and line will be taken care of here once she is set-up and I can figure out the rats nest.
I'm pretty sure where I sail in Kaneohe bay is similar conditions to where Rich sails (except water temp.), how much mast rake do you carry and what crew weight do you sail with?
Looks like we will have 2 tigers and 1 wildcat here in Kaneohe bay and the steady racing guys don't even know yet. I'm guessing at least 3 more will switch to an F18.
Dray aka HCANA Division 1 Chairman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mast rake and diamond tension boat settings are different from boat to boat. One design doesn't matter it all changes boat to boat. It will take some time to find your nice spot on the boat then start tweaking from there. I sail all over and in many different wind conditions. We are at about 370 lbs so we are a heavier team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dray wrote:
The boat was dropped off at Elkhorn yesterday.
So, the ullman sails are the stock sails from Hobie!

No - I don't think you are getting my point - you would need to buy the sails from a Hobie dealer - Ullman loft in the USA wouldn't make the same sail - I think you should contact a Hobie dealer (I don't know what Elkhorn is)