Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As we say in the Everglades, where the water is usually very murky, you may not be a shark's desired target, but sharks make mistakes. The rule: don't get out of your boat.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good point Keith. Also sharks are no different than dogs, bears and people for that matter in that they're not all the same. Some of our so called experts keep suggesting that they know the answers to a sharks behaviour, but I'm sure that there are big happy contented Great Whites out there who have no intension of hav'n a go at you, as there are delinquent aggressive Grey Nurses. As an analogy, it’s no different than the behavioural differences between a bully kid in a playground and a nerd.

I think this explains what I'm saying. The ending says it all.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGk83ovkzeI[/youtube]

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! That is some video. Amazing. And, the guy? In full denial.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I seem to remember a lady going to jail for a few years because all the experts testified that a dingo would never take a human baby.

Not to mention Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter) being killed by a supposedly harmless stingray.

I've even copped a nasty bite from a cute, cuddly little ring-tail possum.

Never take the behaviour of any wild animal for granted.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Slaughter wrote:
Good point Keith. Also sharks are no different than dogs, bears and people for that matter in that they're not all the same. Some of our so called experts keep suggesting that they know the answers to a sharks behaviour, but I'm sure that there are big happy contented Great Whites out there who have no intension of hav'n a go at you, as there are delinquent aggressive Grey Nurses. As an analogy, it’s no different than the behavioural differences between a bully kid in a playground and a nerd.

I think this explains what I'm saying. The ending says it all.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGk83ovkzeI[/youtube]

slaughter, you make a good point that each shark like any animal is an individual. I guess it's human to underestimate an animals intelligence and then we are so impressed when they do something unexpected. These experts then go back to the the drawing board to relearn their "expertise" lol. Unfortunately this clip does not show his revisit. Yep this fool actually goes back and does the same thing again. The second time he does not get attacked. If he had been attacked a second time I don't think anyone would be carrying him out of the water. Don't know what he is trying to prove? Perhaps that sharks are unpredicatable. We already knew that.

There's also some clips of a silly dodo paddle boarding with a great white
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lycgfl2kQyY
I would like to see the sharks reaction had he fallen of the board

and a couple guys diving with great whites in south africa(without a cage).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLPNM_zanm0

To prevent an attack from a curious great white it appears you have to do a lot of things just right

Ofcourse none of this information is of any help in making the average swimmer,surfer,diver or any other person involved in water recreation feel any more comfortable around sharks

Speaking of sharks and kayaks I should mention a highschool mate of mine was attacked by a 6 meter great white while paddling his kayak off the tip of york peninsula last week. He was paddling about 10 meters offshore along a rocky cliff line when the shark came up from underneath and struck the kayak. The force knocked him clean out of his kayak but luckily the shark proceeded to gnaw on his hull buying enough time for a friend in another yak to help him to shore. It wasn't a hobie though. Sharks refuse to damage the superb hull formation found in a hobie kayak and that's a fact :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Erik.
Getting away from the animal bit, there are a couple of us in South Australia with TIs. Happy to go for a sail with you when you get your TI to show the ropes or just share the fun before you do your Crocodile Dundee up north. Send an email if you are interested.
Brian
PS we have no intention of doing the creeks and rivers in Northern Aus. :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Brian, Thanks for your offer and I'd certainly be keen to head out with others that share the same interest and I can learn a thing or two (most likely a lot) from. Now all I need to do is go out and buy one. LOL as for the northern rivers I consider it smart not to follow my lead as I am a fully fledged idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Darwin award

Post subject: Sharks and you...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have swum near nurse sharks down around the Florida Keys. I agree that most nurse sharks act like puppies...but a friend of mine learned not to stick his hand in a friendly sleeping dog's mouth. Consider the same with nurse sharks...people have been bitten after stepping on the shark or even accidentally sticking their wading foot into its mouth. I believe that nurse sharks have the highest count of shark bites on people in the US, but are not really aggressive. Even lemon sharks are fairly safe. Most of the time if you are about their size or larger. they take off. I have had a couple of really large lemons come up to me while in shallow water, and they looked like they wanted a taste. I quietly but quickly got out of the water.
I leave the water if there is a Mako swimming around even if it is quite small. A diving buddy of mine lost a thumb to a tiny Mako that came up to him. He swept his bare hand out to push the baby out of the way. It opened its mouth and surgically bit off his thumb and swam away.
I always assume that sharks of any size are like stray dogs, you never know what they might do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do they grow them this big down under ? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:shock: That could swallow a TI nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking at the background, that would be a Nile crocodile. They don't grow as big as the Saltwater crocodile. The largest one reported shot in Australia (in 1957), was 8.6 metres long (28 feet) long.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah there's also some 6 meter plus crocs swimming around in the adelaide river. Here's a clip of brutus and the dominator. Just replace the massive tour boat with a TI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6EPQWlwPXo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ericos_bob wrote:
The croc incident happened near willie creek so at the northern end of cable beach. :shock: Cape leveque these days is saltwater croc central! I wouldn't snorkel or spearfish anywhere north of cable beach anymore with exception of offshore islands but even there it can be risky. I remember reading in the paper a couple years back that the estimated population of saltwater crocs in the vicinity of darwin alone was around the 50,000 mark. I'm actually surprised controlled culling has not already been introduced.

Good idea on the slow obese sacrificial friend though with that many crocs in the water I might need a few more:lol:

Hey bob,
I have a TI and am also tinking of taking it north (but maybee not north of Broome). There is also a guy on the Yakfishwest forum who sails an AI at Broome and further north.
As far as offshore islands, we had some turtle surveys last year at the Lacepede Islands sight a crock on the beach and I have heard of them out on Browse Island 150 km offshore. But that is rare.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Geordie. Good to hear there is someone else with a TI in these waters. Crocs 150km offshore? That's a long ways though I have heard stories from charter operators spotting crocs a long ways out to sea. When do you plan to do a trip up to broome? I finish up my work in adelaide this year so will probably head off after new years some time. Might just leave the camper at home, drop the TI in at wirrina boat ramp and sail/peddle to broome. Would save a lot on fuel costs and I could hang a couple lures out the back and troll the whole way.