Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

JHJensen wrote:
Um, the mast I have is hollow aluminum, I think with a slit running down most of it? Hmmmm

yeah, the masts are teardrop shaped aluminum extrusions. If you shine a flashlight into the slit (the is the slot that the front of the mainsail slides up in), you should see that it doesn't go all the way into the mast. Something like this:

When people are talking about sealing the mast, its the main hollow inside the extrusion. If you capsize and the mast isn't sealed, it will fill up with water, the boat will turn all the way upside down, and it will be much harder to get back upright...

As for pictures, see this FAQ:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

There's a lot of good info in the "Hobie Sailing - FAQ" forum.

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello,

Let's provide a little more in the way of an explanation ...

The Hobie masts are a made from an aluminum extrusion ... from the mid-late 80's the masts had a fiberglass "comptip" installed from just above the "hounds", (thats were the rigging attaches to), as a safety feature to help prevent accidental deaths from electrical shocks when the mast is accidentially brought into contact w/ overhead electricial lines ... so some masts are "all" aluminum, later production masts have "comptips" which is required under the current Hobie Class Rules for racing.

To seal a mast ... what you are looking for are any small leaks at ... rivets, the masthead/top and mast base/bottom castings/plates, comptip to aluminum extrusion joint, etc. Usually you are looking for a small stream of bubbles ... when found, mark the offending rivet ... dry ... remove/replace rivet (if required) ... and seal w/ silicone ... check again ... until you observe NO bubbles ....

For the masts' there is a rivet "cap" that should be used w/ each rivet ... if you reference the Spring 2011 Hobie Parts/Accessories Catalog, pg 25, upper right corner, "Halyard Grip" ... that pic shows the rivets w/ the rivet "cap". I searched the Catalog and found one other reference on the H18 hardware quide (pg 56) P/N 08011291 ...

Now if you find large cracks/splits etc ... you have bigger problems that will need to be fixed ....

Oh, that "slit" at the rear of the mast ... that is the "luff track" ... and the thick leading edge of the sail that fits into the "luff track" is known as the ... "bolt-rope ( ... and that is the ONLY rope on a beach cat ... unless you have a bell mounted on your boat which should have a "bell-rope/lanyard" for ringing the bell ... all others are called ... "lines" ...)

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless that rope is called a sheet! :lol:

The ropes used to tension the shape of the sail is called a 'sheet'.

The phrase 'you need to sheet in the main' means you need to pull more on the rope that tensions the main sail/boom while sailing to speed up or slow down.

Isn't this fun?!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fun stuff, lots to learn, but it isn't like school or work because you have fun while you learn it.

I pm'd you about a set of sails.

These forums can be your best friend when you are learning, plus no one knows who you are so you don't have to worry about holding back because of the fear of being embarrassed.

Good luck, you have my info in your pm if you need anything.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey there JHJensen. I actually live just across the water at Dallas Bay. Just bought my first Hobie a few Weeks ago as well. I have been around sailing a good bit of my life, so pretty familiar with the generalities. Learning some of the finer points of the Hobie though. We are heading to the beach with I this weekend. Maybe we can get together some time. Would be happy to show you rigging and other set up.

Take care,
Jason