Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You've made an incorrect assumption. I wasn't speaking about mine (I made it plain earlier that my system was a hoax).

Many standard trolling motor systems will run at full speed for a couple hours or more. A system that can only run for a few yards has little practical application for what we do.

And of course that system may run longer than what the video shows, but I don't think so.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
You've made an incorrect assumption. I wasn't speaking about mine (I made it plain earlier that my system was a hoax).

Many standard trolling motor systems will run at full speed for a couple hours or more. A system that can only run for a few yards has little practical application for what we do.

And of course that system may run longer than what the video shows, but I don't think so.

Well, if that is the case, then I apologize. This thread is about your drive system, so that is where my assumption came from. I am sorry if that wasn't the case. I have been wrong before, so admiting it comes fairly easy to me!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you're having such massive problems getting a manufacturer to sign on..why not just sell the schematics?
I didn't bother trying to go through all 19 pages of the post, but I assume that you agreed to demo the concept to various manufacturer's as long as they signed an NDA?

You keep saying that it's a commercially viable idea that offers a motorized option for PAs that is low cost and offers amazing performance and reliability.
Why don't you just shell out a $1k investment to file for a patent so that you'll have freedom to do some PR for your public without fear of someone stealing your idea?
I just don't get it. If I thought I had a home-run idea that would make me tons of money, I wouldn't balk at sinking in a couple of thousand to protect it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nobody has been willing to sign an NDA. I have no interest in spending the money to patent it - you won't get much of a patent for $1K or $2K. Try $10K to $20K for one with well written claims.

I already have an occupation and don't have time to waste manufacturing motor systems for kayaks. I didn't develop mine in order to sell it to other people. I have said this over and over. Just consider it a hoax and forget about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm with Tom on this one. I have no reason to disbelieve his statements or video. He obviously has done a lot of homework and is as knowledgeable as anyone on the subject. He created what he created and has not yet found someone or company who is willing to a) pay him for his idea, b) pay him a royalty, c) take care of all of the headaches and BS which is required to both protect his product, and bring it to market. Obviously, Tom can enjoy the fruits of his intellect and his labour and, that's good enough for him. It does not appear that Tom is interested in, or hungry enough, to embark upon an enterprise which would, no doubt, impinge upon his time spent on the water in his PA powered by the system which many of us crave but are unable, or unwilling to invest either the time or money to bring same to market. Unless Tom's conditions are met, the drive (or the hoax) will remain in his garage, for his use exclusively. GOOD ON YOU, TOM!! (I must admit to my own envy and lack of cash.)

Regards.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After exploring his options, it seems to me at this point Tom gains nothing by keeping his idea to himself and looses nothing by sharing it with the community here. So why all the secret squirrel antics?

Touting the performance with videos, posts and threads, then not marketing or sharing the idea is a bit of a tease. It comes off as poor sportsmanship much like a winning team shouting, "In your face!" to the other guys.

I'm sure he enjoys his horded drive and someday discovers the satisfaction of making the world just a little bit better without the "not-unless-there's-something-in-it-for-me" attitude that comes across even after he admits there isn't anything financially viable.

My opinion may be right, or it may be wrong, but after reading this whole thread, it is my opinion and have just as much right to express it as Tom has to rub his drive in our noses.

(flame suit-ON!)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So it would be fair to say that Tom has a good idea but no longer wishes to monetize it.
And also at the same time has no desire to share his work with the public, even if he were to partially monetize it by selling schematics.

He has created something - wishes to show it off but does not wish to make the design available (for pay or for free) and has no future plans to produce units for sale....but also claims that it is a commercially viable idea.

So it all boils down to
Here look at my pet project, it's amazing but I will only show a video of a pro angler moving through the water at a good clip. Yes, it's commercially viable but I do not want to put in the effort to monetize it. No I will not make the designs public, for free or for pay. No I will not make public any information that can validate that my invention is not a hoax.

So..this entire thread is about him gloating about a home brewed motor that none of us will ever see?

Sirs, I believe we have been trolled.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Exactly. You have been trolled. It's all been a hoax as I have stated many times. My boat was being pulled by another boat in every one of those videos. Now that this is completely out in the open, we can put it behind us and leave it alone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just because no company has yet been willing to sign a NDA, which I guess is some sort of non disclosure form, does not mean the next will not be willing. You do not give up something that could be financially profitable just because three or four companies did not pick it up. The fifth or sixth one might! I think Tom is a better businessman than many here understand.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom,
OK show us how the hoax works

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gatorling:
Tom is more aware than most of us as to all the hassles and business hoops that must be jumped through. He obviously has no intention of jumping through them uncompensated. He HAS his kayak powered. He HAS a real job. ( He owns his own business.) He HAS a garage. And I, am envious. (Along with a lot of other folks, I would wager).

Regards...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On my PA I have mounted a Torqeedo Ultra Light 403, ok expensive but in my opinion worth the money. Because I wanted to keep the Mirage Drive, I didn't buy an eVolve. The Torqeedo is mounted to the steering wheel from the PA and it works absolutely great. I'm more than happy with the system.
Since I'm not on all the social networks, I can't put any pictures here, but I'm more than willing to post any pictures if you like.

Henk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you checked your top speed against a GPS unit? If so how fast can your PA be pushed and does the GPS speed equal what your Torqeedo control unit shows?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I didn't check my top speed against another GPS unit, but I will do so in the coming next 2 weeks when we are for a short break in Hungary. So I will post it let's say in the third week of May.
I bought the Torqeedo more or less in case I'm in heavy conditions or so and don't use it that often.

Henk

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just finished my set up on, my PA, BUT don't how to post some pictures here . suggestions
The system is all inside the PA.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next