Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: General thanks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a new sailor just bought a new H18 and I wanted to thank the people on this forum for really helping me get a sound but not flashy boat.The hulls are sound and mast lines are new.It's a 83 but I think the sails are a different year real good colors hopefully last for a while.The more I go through it what I need to start is there.It all needs a good cleaning so if you know any threads on how to get the hull trampoline and sails clean again post that thread I would appreciate it.My friends are giving me a hard time for jumping into this with both feet but I am really looking forward to giving sailing a try.Again Thanks

Post subject: Re: General thanks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The best way to stop your friends from giving you a hard time is to get the hang of the boat and give them a good time on it. I've not known anyone not to have a good time while trapped out and flying a hull.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm real excited about this boat.I got the trailer painted today the first coat anyway.The other mods like moving the front support made a bracket for the lights to move them out.I think it's a trailer from a 16 again from this sight.Last couple of days the hulls were scrubbed and polished.When the trailer gets done next i'll start detailing the pieces and putting it back together with a new tramp and I was thinking about a neoprene kit.I'll research that tonight seems like it would be more comfortable though.I have it in my head that this is going to be a lot of fun really looking forward to sailing

I'll probably get a laugh out of this but do you guys ever clip on a paddle somewhere?Seems like it would be real handy getting off the trailer and such.I'll be able to leave it on the beach but won't be able to drive to it.What is the easy way to get the sails etc. to the boat?There isn't many people around I was thinking some kinda little cart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nothing wrong with carrying a paddle. If you get one of these telescoping paddles from Murrays, you can trim about 3/4" off of each side of it with a hack saw and it will fit through the 6" porthole and you can store it in the hull.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I carry two paddles, a rubber one, that came from prev owner, and I bought an old crappy paddle and sanded it and burnt an image on it and shellacted it.

I carry a paddle in each hull, and twice I've used them. Once when the wind died me and another hobie were stuck a mile or so from the beach. I paddled over to him, and loaned him my spare paddle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Q18 wrote:
It all needs a good cleaning so if you know any threads on how to get the hull trampoline and sails clean again post that thread I would appreciate it.

I forgot about this. Try using either Barkeeper's Friend or Bon Ami and elbow grease to clean the boat. Use a sponge and let the cleaner do the work, and use a scouring pad only on the really tough stuff, but use it gently. If that doesn't work then you'll need something a bit more aggressive. Search the forum for cleaning threads.

My advice is to gently clean the boat, get it in safe working condition, learn how to sail it and see if sailing is for you, then worry about deep cleaning and polishing. It's a matter of resource (time and money) allocation.

Last edited by Skipshot on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried all the chemicals to get it clean but was let down, now I use 1000 grit paper and them buff then wax. I did the whole boat when I got it, and havent needed to sand again in 4 years. Its not a good idea to sand an old boat often, so I wax it twice a year to keep tannin out of the gel coat pores. Generally after a race so by the next race there will be little no wax left.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Skipshot that's exactly what I did thinking if I really love this I could buy a newer boat if that's what I want.Reading through the forums this is a boat I'm going to leave on the beach next to a place I have at a local lake.You don't want to drive off leaving a real nice boat there.Barkeepers friend worked real good just be patient and let it work.I also read that good floor wax works well on these got my new state numbers today So after I get it and my Hobie stickers on there I'll wax the hulls

Jmecky I've read a lot of your posts the paddle idea is excellent and I'll use it.Just what I wanted a paddle I don't have to climb over but I know is there.

I got the trailer painted today had dozens of bugs land and get stuck on it.Cleaned it up the best I could and not going to worry about the bugs.In my thinking it's about sailing then the boat the trailer comes last.Looking around I can't tell I would like to paint the rudder hardware and the mast is this a bad idea?If I seal the mast maybe black silicone some of the present sealer is coming off on the mounts for the cables so I'd like to reseal.Do you guys ever put that expanding foam in a rivet hole in bad areas?Thanks again guys