Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just seeking opinions from some of the experts on this: On my good boat which I've sailed for one full summer now I have the old style castings. The latch/cam has been cleaned and lubed, I did a little filing to smooth a few rough edges and backed off the tension screw a bit, and they've been working fine. However, last fall I purchased a well used '85 that had the newer castings (a retro fit) which are in very good shape. That boat is seaworthy, but I only plan to keep it for spares.

So the question is, do I install the newer castings or stick with the old ones? I know that many here argue for the upgrade, which I'm happy to do, but I'm also a believer that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I keep waffling so I'm seeking some guidance.

A few other details: Living in Michigan, I only sail in freshwater, and almost exclusively on a lake with a sandy bottom and no shallow spots. I also have a freshly repaired set of EPOs that I'd prefer to only drill once - If the hole pattern were the same I'd probably just try both systems out to see which I preferred.

Thanks,
Peter

By the way - is EPO pronounced "E. P. O." or "ee - po"?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am a firm believer in if it aint broke don't fix it.

But when it comes to my Hobie I break that rule often. I just changed every clevis pin on my boat even thou they are the last thing to break.

Id change them out just to prevent a transom failure later. Imagine you loan your boat to someone and they hit the beach way to fast and your transom is half ripped out. Changing them is free peace of mind.

Then keep the old ones for spares.

I've always wondered what E.P.O. stands for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have two 18s, one with the old style and another with the new style. Each system has it's pluses and minuses. When the old style is working correctly, there is nothing wrong with it. I've written several posts about the mods I've done to the system on my boat to make it work consistently. Same goes with the new system. If it is working properly, there are no issues. The thing I prefer about the old system is that there is no cam to get stuck in the wrong position.

EPO rudders are pronounced "E P O". I believe it's an abbreviation for epoxy.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, SM. I've read many of your posts and those helped with getting the old ones working well. Sounds like as long as their functioning, one isn't inherently better than the other.

By the way JMecky, you might not remember but I have your old mesh tramp. Re-stitched it and it's working great. Hope it'll last a few more years now that it's out of the salt and sun of San Diego.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

After sailing the H16 and %@*!ing with the cam, I came to love the old style 18 rudders. I like you have both 18 style rudders systems in my back yard because I have gone through a few boats but I prefer to stick with the old style.

But......If I were sailing in lakes with rocks or shallow hard bottoms would consider switching. I mostly sail in the ocean (deep and blue Pacific) and rarely hit bottom.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California