Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So my PA arrived & loaded it onto the Trailex trailer with the Hobie PA cradles installed. Unfortunately, the channel where the transducer would sit is where the cradles peak. This means there would be interference so I would have to remove the transducer for loading / unloading. I will try this & see how much of a hassle it turns out to be.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Patriot wrote:
So my PA arrived & loaded it onto the Trailex trailer with the Hobie PA cradles installed. Unfortunately, the channel where the transducer would sit is where the cradles peak. This means there would be interference so I would have to remove the transducer for loading / unloading. I will try this & see how much of a hassle it turns out to be.

Patriot, I lift the PA up slide it back past the cradle when I trailer launch. If you do not get the transducer past the cradle if will be pulled out. I learned this the hard way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rafiki2cu wrote:
Patriot wrote:

Patriot, I lift the PA up slide it back past the cradle when I trailer launch. If you do not get the transducer past the cradle if will be pulled out. I learned this the hard way.

Yes rafiki2cu, looks like that would be a good approach...lift & push/pull past the cradle. Thanks for the tip so I don't have to learn the hard way also. Hope you didn't damage the dsi transducer too much & it was still functional.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I did as rafiki2cu suggests & it works like a charm. Only caution is ... don't get distracted.

Other issue is that if you cannot trailer launch, I may have to remove the xnsdcer to install the cart...unless I put the cart in the forward scupper holes.

Anyone ever try this?

[Patriot"]
rafiki2cu wrote:
Patriot wrote:

Yes rafiki2cu, looks like that would be a good approach...lift & push/pull past the cradle. Thanks for the tip so I don't have to learn the hard way also. Hope you didn't damage the dsi transducer too much & it was still functional.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does the tranducer coming through the scupper pickup vegetation when you are in the thick stuff? I like the idea of mounting the tranducer through one of the scuppers under hte seat, but I worry about whether it will snag vegetation as I don't think I can reach under the boat far enough to reach the scupper hole. I've been using a suction cup mount for my portable Humminbird. It definitely catches vegetation, but it easy to pull the tranducer and clear it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Everyone,

I also just received my Lowrance Scupper mount for my Outback and plan to use it with an Elite 4 DSI that I'm picking up later today.

The water I'll be using will almost always require that I use the cart so I'm interested in better understanding how you are all accommodating this. My first thought was that I'd have to remove and re-install the mount each time I have to transport the boat, but I don't really like the idea. It also looks like the mount can't be used in the scupper holes below the seat in the Outback. I'm also pretty sure the cart won't fit in those holes either.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Dileas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I too, am very interested in knowing if the Lowrance scupper mount could be used in any other scupper locations on the PA. I need to use the plug in HD cart. :?:

dileas wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I also just received my Lowrance Scupper mount for my Outback and plan to use it with an Elite 4 DSI that I'm picking up later today.

The water I'll be using will almost always require that I use the cart so I'm interested in better understanding how you are all accommodating this. My first thought was that I'd have to remove and re-install the mount each time I have to transport the boat, but I don't really like the idea. It also looks like the mount can't be used in the scupper holes below the seat in the Outback. I'm also pretty sure the cart won't fit in those holes either.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Dileas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can use it through the seat scupper but you would need to remove the little cap that threads on the wire - once that is gone it will fit (Lowrance has already confirmed that the small part can be removed without issue)
You would probably need to come up with a new lower profile washer or cap of some sort - that standard Lowrance cap would seem to be in the way in the seat area - but I haven't tried one to see if it hit me or not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, that would totally rock, so I'm definitely going to try and make it happen that way, and I'll let everyone know how it goes. Aiming to do the installation in mid-May when I get off the road from work.

Just picked up the unit last night, along with Ram mounts, and the scupper mount so it's burning a hole on the shelf until I can get to it :).

Thanks for the input.
Dileas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bronze91 wrote:
I too, am very interested in knowing if the Lowrance scupper mount could be used in any other scupper locations on the PA. I need to use the plug in HD cart. :?:

Yes you can use it in other scuppers (not designated for the cart) I was referring to the Outback which only has the small seat scupper beside the cart scupper - but on the PA you have more options as there are more scuppers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fantastic. Thanks!

Jbernier wrote:
Bronze91 wrote:

Yes you can use it in other scuppers (not designated for the cart) I was referring to the Outback which only has the small seat scupper beside the cart scupper - but on the PA you have more options as there are more scuppers.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All,

I have an outback (2009) and have purchased the lowrance elite 4 DSI and scupper mount kit, with the intention of using the scupper holes beside the seat so as to keep the rear scupper holes free and available for the cart.

Issue- the scupper holes beside the seat are much smaller than the rear scupper holes as they a designed for the screw in drain plug (internal diameter ~17mm). The connection plug on the transducer will not fit through these holes as the outer screw section of the plug is ~21mm( if you measure it at the widest point ie from 1 corner of the hexagon to other opposite corner).

Solution- 1) Shave off the "Hex"corners of the screw section of the transducer plug so that it is round. This is not sufficient by itself. 2) Bore out the scupper hole beside the seat to remove the thread that was previously needed for the drain plug, and voila it should now fit.

In this postion on the outback there is not much clearance b/w base of transducer and base of the centre of yak. If yak is on land without cart and it rolled onto that side the transducer would come into contact with the ground. Due to this at this stage I am only running all the cables externally and have not made any holes in the yak as if the clearance proves to be an issue I may need an alternate solution to the scupper mount.

Have only been conducting this installation over the last week and havent been able to test it yet. Hopefully on one of the next two weekends it can be put to the test.

hope info this helps

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The past two nights a friend and I rigged my Outback with the Elite 4 DSI. At the time I had not read chrisp_71au's post.

We ran into the same issues. We discussed for quite a while taking the same approach - sanding down the sides of the connection plug and boring out the threads in the under seat scupper hole. Both of these things seemed to carry more risk than value to them. The thought of over-sanding out those threads made me very nervous.

At the end of the day using the scupper holes that the cart goes into was not an option. I have used my cart on every outing.

Instead we opted instead to mount the transducer on the rudder (I previously installed the larger rudder). This solution worked quite well. We put a new hole at the back of the boat with a grommet that was sealed with goop to run the wires up to wear the head unit is installed. Ahother hole with grommett and goop was used at that end.

I can't take any credit for the install, but I can submit some pictures if anyone is interested in seeing what this approach looks like.

Dileas