Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought an 82 18ft cat but it has corrosion hole at the lower diamond wire mount (???? forgive me I am a newbie learning). Can anyone tell me the specific kind of metal the mast is made of? Has anyone heard or seen of this kind of repair being done to a mast? Also I see that I have to drill out the rivets for the mount for the repair. What size rivets are these? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. As a Jeep owner who loves that community I have a good feeling I am going to love this community too.
[url]Image[/url]

Last edited by csnider81 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm super noob... that being said, I believe that plate that you are going to drill out is just used as a first kind of repair, the way that corrosion is coming out your looking for a rough fix.

I just installed those plates on my mast to reinforce my mast due to corrosion. The mast is aluminum.

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The mast is extruded aluminum - 6061-T6 alloy/temper.

That "hole" is probably the result of galvanic corrosion with the reinforcing plate, which is stainless steel.

If the damage is confined to that area, probably the best way to repair it is to epoxy/rivet an oval aluminum reinforcing plate over the area. Welding is not recommended because 1) you'll have a tough time getting it clean enough to weld and 2) welding destroys the T6 temper (which gives the material about 30% of its strength)

Pieces from a scrap mast would make great reinforcing plates.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ahhhh...that's what I needed to get my brain rolling. Working in aviation I have a lot of T-6 available to me. Plus I have access to a sheet metal roller to match the curve of the mast.
Hey MBounds, I noticed your from MI. I lived in Muskegon before the Army took me here, there, and everywhere. Thanks for the idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see lots of pitting and corrosion, but I don't see a hole in that pic. I would pull off the diamond reinforcement plates, clean up the area, and then decide what to do. In many cases, Hobie put black electrical tape between aluminum masts and stainless steel fittings to help prevent corrosion. If that tape isn't there, I would definintely add some prior to re-assembling. The plate is held in position with 3/16" diameter stainless steel pop rivets, about 1/2" to 3/4" long.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Would it be possible to move the mast rotator anchor plate up/down 1 inch. It looks like the diamond wires could be tightened/loosened an inch without needing to cut them.

I have a spare mast with corrosion about 50% as bad as his, although who knows how bad his is under the plate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
I see lots of pitting and corrosion, but I don't see a hole in that pic. In many cases, Hobie put black electrical tape between aluminum masts and stainless steel fittings to help prevent corrosion.

The hole is the dark spot in the bottom right in the middle of all that corrosion. I am going to coat my patch with zinc chromate and have my sheet metal shop "bake" it. A coat of paint and that should stop the dissimiliar metal reaction.