Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It doesn't necessarily need to be below the bottom of the hull. The transducer operates on a cone shaped signal. Even an inch or two above the hull bottom line shouldn't affect it in the least - the cone will never touch the hull.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom;
Did you read the post correctly?? Are you saying that a sidescan sonar transducer does not have to be mounted such that there is clear water on both sides and no hull shadowing it?? If so, have you done this with no degredation to your image on the side which is shielded?? Just askin'

Regards...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bubbleboy wrote:
Thanks guys! Below are a couple more pics.

Awesome idea for a transducer mount - I'm going to plagiarize it, and mount the whole lot on a removable Scotty platform :) the only part I've been unable to find is this one - do you have a RAM part number?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like a Ram b-218-1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ecduzitgood wrote:
Looks like a Ram b-218-1

grr... the importer of RAM into Australia doesn't seem to stock them... might have to settle for a RAM-B-252U, which would allow a second fastening bolt to be added to the arm...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My unit is from Lowrance. I believe they work very much the same and are the same type systems.

You might want to knock out a quick prototype that allows you to raise and lower the transducer to find out what's the shallowest point that it still provides the best signal. That's where you'll want to position it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've really been trying to force a way to do a rear grab handle transducer mount but I may just have to do a side install like this. Now I just need a parts list. I keep seeing RAM parts in install pics on this forum that I can't find on the web. Looks like it's time to order a RAM catalogue!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's guys like me that appreciate all the brain power and ingenuity that go into these modifications. Thank you all for being willing to share your ideas and what does/doesn't work. :D :) :) :D

Iceflyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ring King wrote:
I've really been trying to force a way to do a rear grab handle transducer mount but I may just have to do a side install like this. Now I just need a parts list. I keep seeing RAM parts in install pics on this forum that I can't find on the web. Looks like it's time to order a RAM catalogue!!

I have one of the bung-to-RAM adapters that I was going to use, but decided to rethink that strategy, when the wife said I can get a PA12 when it's released in Australia... plan is to make a fully removable unit that will transfer between my Revo 13, her Outback, and the PA12 once we get it...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't think we can get that mount here in the states. I haven't seen any other than in the youtube videos where they mention Kevin Winchester makes them. I would think Hobie would want in on the action and offer it on their website but alas I guess I'll have to come up with something else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are the RAM model numbers from what I remember, sorry, I can't find the receipt.

- Base - RAM-B-202U
- Arm - RAM-B-201U-C
- Transducer arm ball - RAM-B-218-1U

For the 898 I used the RAM-111U-B. RAM recommended the 2.25" setup, but it was just huge! The 1.5" setup if sufficient for a kayak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice work!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey folks, I was able to get out this weekend and try the setup. Worked flawlessly. It was very easy to flip the transducer into the water, there was no visible indication the fins were being picked up by the side scanning. The GPS puck also works fine being mounted internally.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bubbleboy wrote:
I heard you are limited in the size of transducer it will accept. The 898 transducer is huge compared to my 385ci

Yes, My Humminbird 898C SI transducer is more like a bar of soap in size...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bubbleboy, thanks for all the pics. If been wanting to put a 898 on my Adventure Island but have been uncertain if it was possible. I think I can do it now. I'm going to order to 898 in the next day or two. If you have anymore tips send them my way. I'll take all the help I can get. It looks like AI mounts are still up in the air. I'll post some pics when i finish.

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next