Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I hate to admit that I just started my fishing season last week! I had a great couple of weekends and landed this super aggressive 7.5 pound snakehead in Quantico Creek off the Potomac River.

It is going to be an awesome 2012 of fishing in the Pro Angler!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't feel too bad!! I've had my 2012 PA for over a week now and haven't had it in the water yet!!

I've got some vacation coming up in a week though so I'll be out pre-fishing for the Jax Kayak Fishing Classic that's coming up!!

Congrats on that nasty snakehead!! Does Virginia have a bounty on them? I know some states have started giving rewards to anglers for keeping and killing them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ring King wrote:
Don't feel too bad!! I've had my 2012 PA for over a week now and haven't had it in the water yet!!

I've got some vacation coming up in a week though so I'll be out pre-fishing for the Jax Kayak Fishing Classic that's coming up!!

Congrats on that nasty snakehead!! Does Virginia have a bounty on them? I know some states have started giving rewards to anglers for keeping and killing them.

You're going to love the Pro Angler! This is season 3 for me and I'm hoping to hit lots of new water. I've been exclusively fresh water so far, but I'm planning to salt my PA this summer on the Chesapeake Bay.

Virginia doesn't have a bounty on snakeheads, but Maryland will enter you into a contest to win $200 to spend at Bass Pro Shops.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice catch on that snake head! That is one "interesting" looking fish. Enjoy your new ride!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok guys, what's a snakehead it's a fish but is it a pest over there, geez u goto love those pro anglers awesome fishing platform and a great colour too
Cheers
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Goom wrote:
Ok guys, what's a snakehead it's a fish but is it a pest over there, geez u goto love those pro anglers awesome fishing platform and a great colour too
Cheers
Rick

Snakeheads are a non-native, invasive species that were illegally released into the Potomac River ecosystem near Washington, DC a few years ago. They have been released in other areas as well -- I know they are a problem in Florida. They are native to Asia. They are growing quickly in numbers and size. They are very aggresssive and have nasty teeth. Fish and Wildlife have been worried that they will kill off other fish species, like bass, and this is why they require that they be destroyed if caught. They can apparently live out of water for a long time, too. The one I caught kept flopping around in the back of my PA, even with numerous knife wounds in its head. It has a boney plate on top of its head that is tough to penetrate. The thing woud not die! I don't carry a billie club in my boat as I'm usually catching bass, but I'm going to get one anticipating I'll catch more of these beasts and will need to neutralize them without getting blood all over my boat. While they are nasty critters, they are fun to catch. That thing hammered a bass colored Strike King Zero jerkbait on a spinning rod with 8 pound Berklely Fireline Crystal. I was impressed with the Fireline -- I didn't lose that fish as it was thrashing and running hard. Fun stuff!

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/202416/158/Kill-a-Snakehead-For-a-Chance-to-Win-Prizes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nice fish. tight lines