Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I WAS GIVEN A NEW HULL THREE MONTHS AGO TO REPLACE A SAND HULL THAT WAS VERY DEFORMED AND WOULD NOT TRACK.THE BOTTOM WAS SO BAD THAT IT LOOKED LIKE THE BACK OF AN ALLIGATOR. THE DEALER (OUTSIDE WORLD, DAWSONVILLE, GA) REPLACED IT AND I WAS SATISFIED. THE NEW HULL HE GAVE ME (SAND) HAD A SMALL DENT JUST FORWARD OF THE PEDDLE WELL. IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN MY PREVIOUS ONE I TOOK IT THINKING THAT IT WOULD GET BETTER WHEN IT WARMED. NOW, AFTER 3 MONTHS THERE IS A CRACK IN THE SAME SPOT AS THE DEFORMITY AND IT LEAKS TERRIBLY. WHEN I STUCK MY HEAD IN TO FIND THE LEAK (I DRAINED 5 GAL AT BOAT RAMP-2 HOUR PADDLE) I NOTICED THAT THE SUPPORT THAT TIES THE DECK AND HULL BOTTOM TOGETHER UNDER THE PEDDLE DOGS WAS BROKEN IN TWO. I HAVE HAD A MIRAGE CLASSIC FOR TWO YEARS AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. I STORE MY BOATS INDOORS UPSIDE DOWN AND TRANSPORT THEM ON A TRAILER THAT HAS A 10 FT BED. I AM VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVER TIGHTEN STRAPS OR TO LEAVE THEM TOO LOOSE. I LIVE LESS THAN FIVE MILES FROM WHERE I PADDLE. ANOTHER BAD HULL? DOES IT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE COLOR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:52 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Sand seems to be the color that is most likely to have problems, however we use them here in the shop for demo's all the time and have not seen a bad on as of yet, and the Kayaks are flying out as fast as we can get them. When you get your new hull take a close look at it, maybe change colors some on may be saying you don't look good in sand.....? We have had a sand one in testing and have found no problems, I say testing by going 2-3 miles in the gulf, playing with the Kings and dolphin and an occasional Back fin Tuna and have seen nothing to fail on the Adventure yet. FYI the Trapen just arrived so I'm gona see if I can get a 150lbs fish in the boat.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Brad-If I can swing it, I'd love to come visit you there in Florida. A 2-3 mile trip sounds like a nice warm-up run, but the 150lb. fish might make up for it.