Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Pro Angler 14
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all. I'm itching to pick up a PA, but if it doesn't take too long, I'd like to wait until the 2012 models come out... reason being I'm hoping it will include some of the features (like the seat) that the PA12 was just released with.

I'd hate to pick up a brand new 2011 only to have the 2012s come out at the same price a two months later. :-/

Do you guys have any handle on when Hobie usually announces/releases the new models? Is there an annual trade show or something to that effect where new announcements are usually made?

As a secondary question - is there a particular boat that is usually compared to the PA? I.e. a Pro Angler vs Boat X comparison? I haven't really been able to find anything to compare it to, but I'm also pretty new to the sport, so I don't really have a good lay of the land yet.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Post subject: Re: 2012 Pro Angler 14
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the 2012 14 pro anglers should already be out. I would hope LOL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:56 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

2012 is out now. New model years are usually released September.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

HeliosPrime wrote:
Hi all. I'm itching to pick up a PA, but if it doesn't take too long, I'd like to wait until the 2012 models come out... reason being I'm hoping it will include some of the features (like the seat) that the PA12 was just released with.

I'd hate to pick up a brand new 2011 only to have the 2012s come out at the same price a two months later. :-/

Do you guys have any handle on when Hobie usually announces/releases the new models? Is there an annual trade show or something to that effect where new announcements are usually made?

As a secondary question - is there a particular boat that is usually compared to the PA? I.e. a Pro Angler vs Boat X comparison? I haven't really been able to find anything to compare it to, but I'm also pretty new to the sport, so I don't really have a good lay of the land yet.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I'd imagine if they come out with a PA 14 that is anywhere near what the new PA12 is then the price will go up. The PA12 is almost the same price as the 2012 PA14. Get one of each. :D

As far as your other question "As a secondary question - is there a particular boat that is usually compared to the PA? I.e. a Pro Angler vs Boat X comparison?"

NO! This is why these boats are considered the best. I just fished a tournament on Saturday that the paddlers were having hell with the wind and after the tournament they were coming up to me asking about the Mirage Drive. I ended up winning the tournament because I was able to hold my position while others were being blown right through their areas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess I was looking for the 2013 then, not the 2012. :D In other words, I want the 14 ft model that has the same improvements as the 12 ft models that just came out, the seat and plano box storage in particular. I was also secretly hoping to get some improvements to the front storage compartment seal...

But...september seems like a loooooong ways off to wait for an announcement and then a few more months for the actual supply to hit market - so I guess my best best is to buy the 2012 now and maybe trade up later when the 2013s come to market. The PAs seem to retain their value fairly well from what I can tell.

Thanks for your replies thus far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

there is nothing to compare the Pro Anglers to, nothing! I don't think any conventional kayak can compare to the PA's stability. I used a Eddyline Calypso yak to fish a local river because of the low river flows. I was dumped in the river when I turned to look behind me in the Calypso, a move that would not have caused any problems in the PA.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

HeliosPrime wrote:
I guess I was looking for the 2013 then, not the 2012. :D In other words, I want the 14 ft model that has the same improvements as the 12 ft models that just came out, the seat and plano box storage in particular. I was also secretly hoping to get some improvements to the front storage compartment seal...

But...september seems like a loooooong ways off to wait for an announcement and then a few more months for the actual supply to hit market - so I guess my best best is to buy the 2012 now and maybe trade up later when the 2013s come to market. The PAs seem to retain their value fairly well from what I can tell.

Thanks for your replies thus far.

wow, just buy a 12.
sure seems a lot of hope and want for something that may never come to fruition to wait months on end for

while i could possibly see the seat changeout, and possibly transducer mounts... i just dont see the plano storage changing to something smaller than the current bucket system that works very well. (and when i am fishing elsewhere, i just pull the bucket and go

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

atavuss wrote:
there is nothing to compare the Pro Anglers to, nothing! I don't think any conventional kayak can compare to the PA's stability. I used a Eddyline Calypso yak to fish a local river because of the low river flows. I was dumped in the river when I turned to look behind me in the Calypso, a move that would not have caused any problems in the PA.

I could even imagine getting dumped when casting or reeling in a catch with the calypso. It is great for yakking but can imagine must be difficult To fish in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only thing I can thing of to compare class-wise would be the Native Mariner. Also a pedal drive (prop driven).

Frankly, I don't think it's the boat that the PA is, but it's twice the boat most paddle kayaks are. Being able to power a boat with your feet offers certain advantages over having to do it all with a paddle.