Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Please help identify my rudders.

I have done several searches and found lots of info about all kinds of rudders except for those specifically for the Getaway.

The rudders are white. They seem pretty flexible not super stiff like some others I have read about.

They need a pretty good cleaning. I don't know if they are fiberglass or just coated in something that is fiber reinforced, but I definitely got glass in my arm when I picked them up the first time. You can also see the sparkles when they are in the sun.

This closer up shot might help someone identify the material.

Here is one after my first go at cleaning them.

I am hesitant to use anything too harsh on them until I know what they are made out of...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:54 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Notwithstanding the "glass" you got in your arm, they look like the stock plastic (nylon) rudders that came with the boat. The flexibility comment leads me to believe that, too. Fiberglass rudders are very stiff.

Regardless, you can go after them with almost any household cleaner/solvents and not hurt them - nylon is pretty tough stuff.

Use a mild oxalic acid cleaner (ZUD, Barkeeper's Friend) to get rid of the organic stains and a quick wipe with acetone for everything else. Wet sanding with progressively finer grits (starting with 320) would improve the surface finish, but that's probably not necessary (it's a lot of work).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
Notwithstanding the "glass" you got in your arm, they look like the stock plastic (nylon) rudders that came with the boat.

Thanks MBounds!
Do nylon rudders breakdown from UV? It felt like fiberglass insulation that was in my arm. Could it just be the nylon fibers that did it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried some brake cleaner. Didn't seem to do much to the stains. I have some barkeepers friend, I'll try that tonight. I had some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. It removed some of the stains with some material that felt chalky, well it was a paste when wet.

Is that consistent with nylon rudders in you experience?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:53 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Nylon will break down a bit with a lot of UV exposure, so that's probably what you're getting when you sand.

Removing that outer layer of "chalk" should take care of all the discoloration, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK thx. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to screw them up. And that someone hadn't put some fiber reinforced gelcoat or something weird on there...

When I was disassembling the rudders I found some plastic washers used for spacing and friction reduction I would imagine. Can I get replacements somewhere like Lowe's or will I need to visit a specialy store?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The washers are just HDPE. I recommend you use something a bit tougher, like Delrin (sheet stock is available from McMaster-Carr), but almost anything will do there - even pieces cut out of a gallon milk jug.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
The washers are just HDPE. I recommend you use something a bit tougher, like Delrin.

Would you recommend two layers of 1/16" on each side of the rudder between it and the castings?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

d3lphi wrote:
MBounds wrote:
The washers are just HDPE. I recommend you use something a bit tougher, like Delrin.

Would you recommend two layers of 1/16" on each side of the rudder between it and the castings?

You want to use as many shims as necessary to take the slop out of the rudders without having to over tighten (i.e. bend) the rudder castings. Cast aluminum does not like to bend...it just snaps.

Ideally you will have at least one shim on each side of the rudder to prevent wear. I usually use pieces from a polyethylene milk jug for this. Cut out the shim, get it where you want it, and then whack the bolt through it with a hammer.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Are the old style getaway rudders ambidextrous? or is there a specific left and right rudder?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:27 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

d3lphi wrote:
Are the old style getaway rudders ambidextrous?
Yes. There is no difference right to left.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
There is no difference right to left.

Thanks!

I wet sanded the rudders and was planning on painting them with a rattle can of white appliance epoxy paint...

I got a new cam kit from the PO, but wanted to go ahead and swap out the plunger too so ordered one too. How do I know how far to screw in the plastic spring tensioner under the plunger? Any other tips on on cam adjustment. Does it matter which side I drill from to remove the rivet?

The screws holding the rudders to the casting where quite tight. Should those have sleeves or be more easily able to rotate?