Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tethered To PA?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was just wondering if anyone here tethers themselves to their PA?

Post subject: Re: Tethered To PA?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I use a surfboard leash. I'm thinking that if I were to fall out of my PA, it would be blown out of my reach in about two seconds even in a light wind. :shock: Swimming to reach it with a floatation vest on seems like a losing proposition. :(
My leash is attached to one siderail. Most of the leash is under the seat coiled up and bound with a thin piece of velcro. I leave just enough line free to stand or access the front hatch without trouble. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, thanks for the reply! I was also thinking chasing the PA in a PFD would be a daunting task. I'm sure there may be some safety concerns regarding the tether, but getting back in is very important.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's true, a safety leash is not without its risks, too. Mainly, I think from entanglement. Becoming separated from the PA after a spill seems a far more likely danger. Also, I carry a sheath knife in my PFD, just in case.
I'd like to hear some other opinions and ideas about this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the AI & TI's we have (surfboard) leashes for each seat, and wear them when sailing alone, or when conditions get interesting.

The only warning, is don't put them on for launch, and remember to remove before landing. Too dangerous in the surf zone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A word of caution about leashes and tethers of all types. From this weekend. I was passing thru a small cut wash out on a sand island. As I passed thru to the other side I came upon a VERY fast moving current. The other side had a steep drop off to 10-12ft. There was a boat just abot 10-15ft down current from me anchored up with about 50ft of line out from about a 7ft high off the water bow. I miss judged the speed of the current and got swept under the anchor line. All rods where in the up-right position and one went over and the leash hung up in the anchor line. As you can guess a line around a a static anchor line or any unmovable object in a current will cause it to slide down the object/line. It was pulling the yak and me down. Then the paddel leash did the same. I was hanging on the anchor rope to keep the whole shabang from going down. I rolled out I put my hand down to my ankle for what I hand been trained to do my whole Navy career. Go for your dive knife and do an emergency cut away. """Oh wait smart guy you just bought a new Leatherman,, you don't need that dive knife anymore.""" Morale of this event was practice emergency action drills and alway use the SAME course of action. It needs to be on auto reflex. If you leash, then have the emergency cut away IMMEDIATLEY ready for action, as in slash and its done. No unfolding or fumbling. It needs to be on auto reflex. :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Outback, but I ..

Leash to my PFD (not a leg)
wear Knife
installed zigzag cleat(s) to use the leash as a step/rope ladder to assist re-entry (never know what might be injured)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I notice that Home Depot has a bracelet type velcro band with a metal opening ring(similiar to a D-ring). I think i'll remove the ring, then attach the leash to it. The velcro band is quite long, i might shorten it some just to aid a fast removal. The large band would probably suspend me, although they are not for lifting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OH! diving knife is very useful!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent suggestions, RPB.

1. Leash to my PFD (not a leg) - > Excellent, I will do this!

2. Wear Knife - > I ordered a fixed blade diving and fishing knife on Tuesday from a yakker, who works in a fly shop. He keeps the knife in its sheath attached to his PFD with a retainer attached to the knife in case he drops it. I'm a Leatherman guy with all types and sizes including one with loppers to cut away branches. Hevever, one of my younger relatives said good luck on opening any of the Leathermen if I was in cold water. So I ordered the fixed bladed knife.

3. Installed zigzag cleat(s) to use the leash as a step/rope ladder to assist re-entry (never know what might be injured)-> Excellent suggestion. After reading some posts from guys, who ended up in the water, I was trying to figure out how to use a strap to get back in and how to secure it. The leash can be the strap, and the zizzag cleats on both sides and the stern answer the question of how to secure a short line/strap to get back in.
[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Grampa Spey, I like these ideas. I especially like the zig zag cleat for re-entry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wow I never thought about being tethered to my pa I've been on rivers/whitewater, my friends and I were never tethered but it's a great idea. thank you again guys for another great idea keep them coming. tight lines