Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I know what I'm going to do, but wanted to have the thoughts of the Forum members.

I purchased two AI's instead of a tandem a few summers back. The idea was to have an extra boat for friends and a girl friend to sail, and a single for me to use on my lonesome. The reality is that the second AI has been used less than 6 times in two seasons. Living on Lake Erie, non-sailor friends just aren't up to the challenge of trying the AI in chop, shore break, and wind while I'm out there coaching from my own boat. Girl friend? What girl friend?

I've sold one of the AI's and will be taking delivery on a 2012 tandem AI in a few weeks. It should be a riot to single-hand, and will greatly broaden the universe of candidates to go sailing. I've visions of sailing while a yet to be identified new girl friend opens the chardonnay sitting next to me on the tramp, slicing up cheese and apple slices. Well, one can dream.

SO, why keep the single AI? I should probably sell the virtually new boat and make someone else very happy while I'm enjoying the TI? I should probably sell the second AI.

RIGHT :?:

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't sell it. Offer to trade it for a girlfriend. What? You don't think someone would trade their lady for a sailboat? :D

Last edited by augaug on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't sell you last AI until you've used your TI for a little while. If I could only have one 'Island', it would be an AI, even though I do enjoy sailing with others in my TI.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah what KayakingBob said plus one more thought... Use the AI as an engagement ring, if the prospective girl does not understand that concept move on she's not the one! Sail or Bail. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good advice folks. Thanks. I'm with you on that Sail or Bail. I can hang on to the AI, no need to sell it right away. Hmm. Not sure I could give either one of my guitars or a boat as an engagement ring.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Keep the AI, there will come a time when you want to go sailing with her but you won't want to hear every thought that comes into her head and out of her mouth and that will be the perfect time to put her onto it. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I never owned an AI and purchased a TI last summer. The ideal boat for a family with two kids and we enjoy family time going snorkeling and going to various beaches. However - 80% of the time I use the TI solo for fishing or spearing (wify and kids just do not want to get up at 5 am for a fishing trip) and I really like the additional space to store all kinds of gear.

Am just curious since I never used the AI - apart from the "trouble" to get the heavy boat across the beach to the launching site - is there any difference in the performance of a TI (sailed solo) compared to an AI?

Peace
Serbi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm also looking forward to seeing if there's much of a performance diff. between the AI solo and the TI solo, because that's how I'll be sailing the TI most of the time. Just looking at the specs, there would have to be? Lot's more sail area, a bit longer hull, and not that much more weight.

Anyone able to share their own experience with the question? :?:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TI (sailed tandem or solo) sails about 1mph faster than an AI in similar conditions and % of load, most of the time. In perfect conditions and trim sometimes much faster than the 1mph. But with poor trim and minimal conditions sometimes a little slower than an AI.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And over 300 miles through the Everglades................. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Several former GF's...two ex wives.
I have my AI..bet they would have taken a TI. Nuff said

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, I forgot why I wanted to jump on this originally....
TI = two people and ONE may want to go to a different location.
Ti's are easy to single. BEST combo provided you have the space...one of each

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Took delivery on my red 2012 Tandem Island. Wow. Cool boat and can't wait to get it in the water. It's still very chilly along the south shore of Lake Erie.

I'm very impressed by the assortment of improvements Hobie has made to the AI design, especially the rudder system. I'm not sure about the aka attachment system, like the simplicity of the solid metal/stainless pin setup on the single, don't know if the TI ever had that.

This is a much bigger boat and will need a dolly. I'll be noodling figuring one out with the pair of cradles I purchased then realized I don't need. I installed a j-cradle system on my trailer so I can transport both the TI and the AI at the same time, but it requires launching using a dolly.

For now, keeping the AI.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a question about your trailer. Is that legal where you are? Where I am, I don't know the exact measurement, but the lights have to be much closer to the rear of the load. I believe it's within 3 feet. I was once told that for temporary loads, you can get away with a flag on the back, (temporary loads, being a load of lumber from the hardware store. But something like a trailer which has been obviously set up to carry your boats, I'm pretty sure that it would be an issue here.

Again, I'm not positive of the "laws" but if I were you, I'd want to check before getting a hefty fine, or worse, have your trailer pulled off the road, until it complies. That would really mess up a trip!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's the first time the question has come up. It's pretty typical of other rigs in Ohio. This setup balances properly and have used it with everything from the TI to a JY15.

I'm going to check. Thanks for posing the question.