Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just curious if "The Ultimate Sail Patter Guide" would be updated (last updated 4/2006).

Thanks,

bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:33 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

There's only been four new "offical" sail patterns since it was done.
Smoke:
Coronado:
Hot Tamale:
Sea Breeze:

There were some "retro" sail patterns done for the 40th Anniversary Regatta and a few other events - just single panels of red, blue or yellow. But since these were technically repeats of patterns from the 70's, they wouldn't have been included on the chart.

There were also the 2007 Fiji Worlds colors:

And the 2010 Weihai Worlds colors:

But since all of those worlds boats stayed in Asia, I wouldn't have included them in the North American sail color chart, even though the sails were built in the Hobie USA sail loft.

There have been an increasing number of custom pattern sails.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Matt - We'd love to see some new color combos!

How about a few of those 2007 Fiji patterns for the rest of us?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Maybe I'm just stuck in the past but the new sail patterns just don't do it for me. I still think "Cat Fever" and "Tequila Sunrise" have yet to be topped. (gloat: I have still crisp Cat Fevers from th '80s)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JSWoerner wrote:
Maybe I'm just stuck in the past but the new sail patterns just don't do it for me. I still think "Cat Fever" and "Tequila Sunrise" have yet to be topped. (gloat: I have still crisp Cat Fevers from th '80s)

I dunno.. I really really like the 'Misty' pattern..

Cat Fever is a Close second.. Probably tied with the 84 Nationals..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronholm wrote:
JSWoerner wrote:

Cat Fever is a Close second.. Probably tied with the 84 Nationals..

You really really like Misty sail colour :roll:

Last edited by mmadge on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

JSWoerner wrote:

i have a cat fever jib and im trying to find the main because i like that pattern to!

I think hobie europe is the better company and hobie usa needs to step it up, because 1 fiberglass and 3 plastic boats and 2 really bad sail patterns for the 16.
their boats http://www.hobie-cat.net/hobie-cat/inde ... 33&lang=en

the 16 http://www.hobie-cat.net/hobie-cat/inde ... 75&lang=en go to downloads and then sail color.

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check with Eileen at Sailboat Inc. (317) 872-7845, she has a H16 Cat Fever main.
I have not looked over the sail myself but she asked me to help find her a jib.
I hope it works out for the both of you.

She is a great person to do business with! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with what has been said. As a younger sailor, I wish that Hobie USA had more trendy sail designs. The sails that are available today aren't bad, but I would imagine that many people would purchase some flashy sails like Hobie Europe offers if they were available in North America. If some new sail designs were released, I would imagine that more younger sailors like myself would become interested.

With talking to my friends, many of them are very interested in hearing about my sailboat and would probably consider becoming part of it all. It seems seems to me like Hobie sailing is cool enough on its own that all that it would take is a small kick start to get many new younger sailors involved and possibly restore Hobie sailing to the way it was back during its heyday. I'm not sure what that kick start is, but I would imagine that newer, flashier sails would be a good place to start.

I know that this would be a big decision on Hobie's part and maybe that isn't the direction they are wanting to head. This is just me talking, but I see Hobie focusing more on the rotomolded cats and kayaks much more than the fiberglass cats. If the goal is to bring another generation of sailors into the sport, then the fast, exhilarating, wet, and wild Hobie 16 needs to stay at the forefront. It seems to me that the Hobie 16 has been put on the back burner. If newer sail designs were offered, maybe more people would be interested in buying new boats and the Hobie 16 would become more popular again. Like I said, this is just how I see it. Just a little constructive criticism.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good on you PurdueZack for that.Youth opinion is very important.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

PurdueZach wrote:
I agree with what has been said. As a younger sailor, I wish that Hobie USA had more trendy sail designs. The sails that are available today aren't bad, but I would imagine that many people would purchase some flashy sails like Hobie Europe offers if they were available in North America. If some new sail designs were released, I would imagine that more younger sailors like myself would become interested.

Hobie has made some pretty cool sails in the past like Spirit of ‘76 and formula 1, but they had problems like the stars would peel or or the sail dident work good, but there is more technology now and should be able to makee better sails. If i was going to buy a new 16 (im 14) i would rather try to see if hobie would make me a different pattern, one of the older ones.

optikid

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got to 2nd a few things on here;

Cat Fever Ranks high with me too (especially because they don't have purple) and because I have two sets (one of which I'm trying to sell to optikid) Spirit of 76 ranks high for me too, and a few others.

I also have to second the updated sail patterns discussion, the H16 sails used to say a lot in terms of personality, that has seemed to die off, some new cool patterns would definitely attract youth, well younger people, at 27 I'm usually one of the younger guys around when I sail, but finally at the age where I would soon be looking at a ACTUALLY new boat, it seems shallow to go just by the sails but appearance is a huge factor, and I'm sure that I don't just speak for myself, optikid, or purduezach.

I still LOVE the hobie though. It might be cool to see throwback sails available, I would love to own a NEW set of spirit of 76 sails, I haven't found any that are anything more than wall decorations since they are almost 40 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

that would be nice if they could make a new american flag style.

[quote="cezo823"]I've got to 2nd a few things on here;

Cat Fever Ranks high with me too (especially because they don't have purple) and because I have two sets (one of which I'm trying to sell to optikid) Spirit of 76 ranks high for me too, and a few others.

[quote]
so... would you sell the main sepparate with no battens?

S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I strongly agree with the above posts that Hobie US needs new sail designs to keep up with Hobie Europe.

That said in addition to the Color Chart is there any info per size boat on Sail number per year. I'm trying to figure out it this 16 sail #44157 is a "78 Orange Crusher" or a "79 Nationals Orange" or something else??? It has reaf points.

For example were H16 sails #44,000 - 50,000 from a certain year???

Cork Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really hoping that the AC45's and soon to be AC72's will help to make sailing cats cool again! Things go in cycles and I think Hobie Cats are on the comeback. I know at least here in Central Oregon just this summer there are a lot of new Hobie sailors showing up!
Checking out the specs and sails on the Hobie Europe makes me hope this will all take off again as I would love to see more cool high performance stuff from Hobie USA!