Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: carbon mast for getaway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just checking in here to find out if anyone knows of a third party making carbon masts for the getaway?

If not it sure would be great if we could get someone interested. I know the getaway is not a melges. Its a great family boat. But a carbon mast would help deal with two of the getaways issues: mast stepping and righting when capsized - both very useful for families.

If you look at the boat it is a very structurally efficient design. Except for the mast, which probably makes up 40-50% of the weight. By halving the weight, it might be possible to step the mast easily with kids (I already use a mast stepper). And it might be possible to right the boat easily with one or two people because the weight of the mast is what is really holding it down. Plus, less weight, less wear on the rigging, etc.

Would love your thoughts out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think your numbers might be a little off. The Getaway weighs a little over 400 pounds with wings. I would think the mast would represent about 10% of that weight. I don't know anything about the benefits of carbon fiber, but I would think the savings in weight would not justify the additional cost. Just my thoughts.

Post subject: Carbon mast
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I set my new getaway up this weekend. The mast seemed to only come in at around 50Lbs. It is no where near 40 -50% of the boat weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe one of the wind surfer company's will make you a carbon mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

bmwm3, you say you use a mast stepper for your Getaway. I looked at getting it but all info I saw say that it shouldn't be used for mast that must be raised on their side. The Getaway's mast rainsing instruction specifically state that the mast must be on it's side for raising.

Does it simply need to be on its side when the mast rest horizontal, and then it can be fore-aft while it's being raised?

Having such a system would allow my wife to raise the mast. I'm able to muscle it up, but that's beyond her weight class!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wow, I am surprised it is that light. sure seems heavy when you are trying to yank it up. It must just be due to the fact that the weight is levered out so far...

regarding the stepping system, I was not aware that it should not be used with the getaway. we always raise it the first ten degrees or so by having someone push it up from the ground.

Post subject: Trap lines ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know nothing about a Getaway. Does it have trap lines? If so use them and a wench to help get it up. That is what I do on my Hobie 17 when the wind is really blowing.

Doug

Post subject: Remote winch
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you want to step the mast solo you could use an eletric winch with a remote.

Start with slack in your steping line. Start the winch. Pick up the mast for the first 20 degrees and help guide the mast up. Make sure to keep the remote in your pocket and hold the onto the mast all the way up. Allow some time to get the remote out and stop it before your winch can over pull.

If money is an issue I've seen a cheap winch before that had a lanyard to pull on to stop/start.