Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4th adventures!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hope you all had a nice 4th...finally got my Getaway wet on Saturday with a nice 10k breeze, just enough to get a feel of the boat and make sure all the rigging/ropes were in working condition. Had a great time for 3-4 hours between sailing solo, with the wife, with my 4 yr old...good times (then it was off the Jimmy Buffett Concert at Jones beach!!) Sunday brought the adventures...a stiff 16-20K of wind...was flying along for most of the day solo, sometimes with the wife, great sailing, was working on gybes/tacks etc...then on my last leg home, feeling cocky, and seeing what the boat is capable of, i'm on a beam reach, sheeted in and just screaming, hull flying for a bit, just absolutly slicing thru the water then WHAM...I am 8 feet in the air, falling towards the shrouds which i fend off with my left arm (nice gash) then i fall across the trap wire and end up in the water...as i surface, the boat is capsized and the bob is working...i swim around, make sure the main is uncleated...then back to the hulls...(man those are slippery!!) grab the righting line, free the righting bag, fill it up and start leaning....i felt the boat starting to move, but not enough..then 2 jetskiiers came by and one guy got up on the hull with me and we righted it in about 4 seconds....other than a nice arm gash and a broken trap shock cord, alls good....damm that was fun,,,,more great sailing on Monday...Tuesday she stayed on the beach as the forecast for severe weather was apparant. next non windy day i will be practicing my righting techniques....great boat...all love it!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow sounds like quite an adventure, after sailing 16"s for many years I have found out with my new getaway that you do need to pay close attention to the main sheet traveller! I hardly ever adjusted the traveller on my 16 other that running down wind but on the getaway you have to pay close attention to the traveller or you get too much loading on the front of the boat causing accidental pitchpoles. As you come off the wind play out the traveller and sheet in, as the sail flattens it moves the center of pressure rearwards which takes the load off the leeward bow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

pitchpoling was something i had only read about, and after sailing monos for 20 years, this was quite an experience!! i need to continue to play with the traveler/main and learn the cause/effects....R&D is half the fun!! I did have a constant problem with the rudders not staying in the down position...i ended up grabbing an old flathead screwdriver to keep in the cooler so i could pop the clamps back into position

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i need to replace both shock cords now...once i get them, how do i attach them?? I never looked at how they were rigged before they broke...when i picked the boat up, the wires were running on the outside of the wings...where do the shock cords attach to????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

so, the righting bag was not enough for you to solo right. What is your weight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I didnt give the righting bag a good enough try to determine if it'd work or not..I am 185lbs...as soon as i got the righting bag out, the jetskiier offered assistance and I needed to get back to shore so I took him up on his offer...i feel that with my weight and the bag, she'd right...make sure the main is uncleated...i am hoping to take her in shallow water this weekend and practice rightting her....