Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Questions:
How are the crossbeams secured?
Can you box/cap the open channel ends for safety/aerodynamics?
How are the cushions to be attached?

-The extrusion is pop riveted to the panel.
-Ideally you wouldn't have the open ends. Remember this was an off cut that wasn't long enough. If I was making it from scratch the panel would be the full length and the haka would be a neat rectangle with 45 degree corners. I do need to nut out a better end finishing for this 'cheapskate' version.
- The cushions come with press studs on the flaps which would click into press studs riveted to the extrusion. (same as what I've done on the ladder)

Thanks Slaughter. I'm not getting rid of my tramps as I still think they have a place. I will always fit them on the TI but on the AI maybe only for camping. :)

PS- I did some research on EPS (expanded polystyrene) and whether it absorbs water:
"Expanded polystyrene will initially float on top of the water's surface, but if in permanent contact with water it has a tendency to absorb water very slowly (over a period of weeks) until it becomes waterlogged, at which time it may either float just at the surface or slowly sink."

So I don't think it will become a problem. I'll probably seal the edges with an acrylic waterproofer.

Post subject: Raka Update
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having experimented with the Raka both behind and in front of the rear crossbar, I decided to build a new wing which straddled the crossbar. I'm posting before I paint it, because it's easier to see what's going on if it's not black.

Features: It retains the ability to pedal if you want or need to. I can sit on it and pedal comfortably with the pedals set to 1.

It rests on the akas, so your body weight is supported when hiking out.

It's smaller and lighter than a Haka and works fine on its own, but it should complement Hakas very well. Combined with Hakas, it creates a continuous deck, making it easy to move from one side of the boat to the other.

It fits snugly and doesn't need to be strapped down.

Accessories: Here it is with hiking straps and an Ocean Kayak seat.

Normally the OK seat can just lay folded flat, but when pedalling, you need some support. For short burst of pedalling (such as when tacking), it's sufficient to just grab onto the aka braces. For longer periods, the OK seat is comfortable and provides support.

In principle, there's no need to dip your butt in the seat well at all. The one reason which I would have for using the Hobie seat is in turbulent water, where it can be comforting to be sitting down low where it's almost impossible to fall out of the boat. Fortunately the Hobie seat still fits, with the seat pegs in the front two holes, though I find I need the pedals set to 7

Technically, it's a quarterdeck, in that it's aft of the mast, forward of the poop deck (the rear cargo bay) and it's where the captain (me) controls the boat from.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nicely done Chris! 8)
I like the benefits:
- you can still pedal
-you can just slide from side to side when tacking.
- a much drier ride not sitting in a puddle.
Hmmm...I now know what to do with the leftover panelink strip I have. :wink:
Thanks
BTW- Will you be testing it sometime this week?
We might be able to meet up.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
BTW- Will you be testing it sometime this week?
We might be able to meet up.

Sure mate. I'll find out in the morning when I'm going to be free. I'll give you a ring when I know.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice Job Chris;

I went a different way, here is mine waiting on wind:
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great integration with the existing Hakas.

The weight distribution, over the Akas looks ideal. I think you'll be richly rewarded on the water.

Hard to tell, but it looks as though the bottom rear crossmember may not be needed for stability and could possibly be cut away to improve rear storage.

One of my favorite things about this design is the way it will function as a supportive backrest when you are seated in the cockpit. A nice thick noodle behind the seat should add to the comfort.

Lotsa seating options for you now Chris. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'll love being able to walk around the boat too...

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How much does your quarterdeck weigh, Chris?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Ray wrote:
How much does your quarterdeck weigh, Chris?
I'm not sure Tom. I would guess about 12 pounds. I don't have a set of bathroom scales (they always seem to lie :?), but now that you've asked, I'll borrow a set and report back.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Checked it on Stringy's scales. According to them, it weights 7.5kg (16½ pounds), but like most scales, they vastly overstated my weight, so they may well have done the same with the quarterdeck :roll: :roll: :roll: .

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
... but like most scales, they vastly overstated my weight...

:lol:
Thanks for that Chris- and here I am thinking it was just me! :wink:

I met up with Chris briefly yesterday and was able to trial his quarter deck. The winds were only very light, just enough to push the AI along, but it was enough to realise that the quarter deck, like the haka, is a real asset to AI sailing. In fact the QD could easily be used without haka as an aid to hiking out.
A very clever concept.
I'll be making one for sure! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is by far the most interesting thread just now. I'am very impressed of all you have accomplished with hakas and quarter decks. Since the tramps are very expensive, and buying them here in Sweden is totally out of the question for me, I will go with the hakas idea. Thanks for ALL inputs.

Now two questions. Has anyone made hakas that can slide?
Sometimes you want them near the hull and sometimes you want them as far from the hull as possible.
If slided away from main hull, is it possible to use paddle?

br
thomas (AI now ordered, yellow of course!)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thomas,
Because the haka are generally held in place with a bungee they can easily be moved. In fact on my first trial I had them positioned too far away and I slid them closer in while on the water. It would only be in very strong winds that you may want to slide them out. For most sailing I prefer to have them around 25cm out from the aka crossbar mounting bracket. The paddle holder clip can be a problem if your haka are flat like timber but the ladder and foam sandwich haka I have straddle any aka protrusions.
In the clip I posted previously I'm using a single paddle to leave Honeymoon Bay. I've also sat on the forward end of the haka and used a double paddle.

21st Century Haka Update:

I've just finished sealing the polystyrene ends. I tried paint and acrylic waterproofing but the best result was with neutral cure silicon:

Run a bead the length of the foam

Spread it out and embed it using a broadknife

Pop rivet the extrusion on all sides and job almost done. Tube clips and seat cushions to go. Still need to work out a way of finishing the ends, though I will be adding the scraps of security mesh I have left over from the ladder haka to the ends of the foam sandwich haka. Should support the cushion end OK and give me a place for lashing gear to.

...Oh and Chrisj's QD next. The offcut I have left over should be perfect.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This has become quite a thread.

Since the conversation is circling back to playing with a "full deck", I thought I would flashback to the original "Batwing" concept from which we been drawing inspiration.

Keep tweaking, Renagades!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
This has become quite a thread.

Since the conversation is circling back to playing with a "full deck", I thought I would flashback to the original "Batwing" concept from which we been drawing inspiration.

Keep tweaking, Renagades!

Absolutely, HOHUHU. The Batwing is the inspiration for all this. Also, your previous suggestions about developing the PVC rear seat into a stand alone wing. That's what led me to look for ways to make a wing which would not need the hakas for support. As you predicted, this has proven to be a great way to hike out and to sit high and dry with a smaller, lighter bench and to retain foldability of the akas.

As is the way with created things, this has also led to the possibility of pedalling while seated on the bench. Based on the test run on open water the other day, this idea definitely has legs (pun intended). The OK seat had some teething problems with getting jammed in the slats, but I was surprised by how easily I could pedal with no extra support. I am making some modifications to improve the usability of the OK seat, but I can foresee never needing to sit in the seatwell, except in very rough conditions.

I can't call the quarterdeck a batwing, because it's the wrong shape. I had considered calling it a "Nohuhu", in your honour, but I fear that could lead to confusion on the forum. "Oh, look at that supermodel, stretched out on the Nohuhu." You wish :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 88  Next