Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Two popular striper fishing sites in the NY/NJ are reporting the unfortunate events that lead to flipping of a PA. The operator was recovered very cold but unhurt by a passing boat. Food for thought every thing has limitations. SOL/BB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

he posted about it here
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=42393

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Amazing. Who would have thought that cold water could make you illiterate?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RockyRaab wrote:

cold water will make u do alot of things wrong lol that was a quick video was not worried about spell check

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not the fault of the boat. Good lessons learned.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RockyRaab wrote:
Amazing. Who would have thought that cold water could make :? you illiterate?

---- :lol: :lol: :lol: ----

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I am glad that I am not the only one that thought that. Thats where the SPOT would have came in. It takes alot to turttle the PA. Really would like to know the truth. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If his forward hatch was open was he also taking water over the bow. Seeing the pictures of him being towed you can see lots of white caps. Was he gradually taking water which would certainly compromise his stability when he leaned game over. Hope he responds to the question. He may have forgotten to secure it prior to launching and in those conditions didn't want to crawl to the front to secure it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just two words to secure your front hatch while in the water, "seat slide." Can't beat it!!! :o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

YES I DID CLOSE THE HATCH BUT EVEN STILL WATER GET IN THE WHITE BUCKET THERE IS A YOUTUBE POST ABOUT RE-ENTERING IN RUFF WATER WITH A PRO ANGLER AND HIS ALSO FILLED UP .... ALSO IM A BIG GUY MY PROBLEM WAS MY LEGS CRAMPED UP FRON MY DRY PAINT FILLING UP I SHOULD HAVE CUT THEM ... BUT I WAS MORE WORRIED ABOUT HOLDING ON ... I WAS OUT ON SAT IN EVEN RUFFER CONDITION WITH NO PROBLEM JUST A STUPID MISTAKE AND A LESSON LEARNED

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The video does show the front hatch was bungied (sp) shut. Water does enter the front hatch when you tip the PA. Hobie folks have stated this. From what I understand, no secondary measure has been taken with this because the PA is not expected to tip (often).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ec5g5L5oxw[/youtube]

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sympathize with Mossy's unfortunate incident, and hope it doesn't deter any future fishing opportunities. I'm sure there were a lot of lessons learned (albeit the hard way) and will help protect himself from future incidents like the one experienced recently.

I just want to express my opinion on one issue I hear often and would like to comment on. As a former WSI and swimming instructor, if you fall in the water with waders or waterproof pants on, do not cut them! I understand that these will fill somewhat with water but will also trap enough air to act like a life preserver. Cutting them will allow the remaining air to escape, losing it's buoyancy and dragging you down. I completely understand with Mossy's thought of cutting them, especially when trying to lug water and body back onto his PA, but doing so can be much more life threatening. if it was me and I couldn't get back into the boat with too much water in my waders, and I was wearing a PDF, ultimately would attempt to calmly remove the waders in the water and get back in the boat. Of course it's easier said than done in real world situations. I always stress to anyone not sure of their abilities to practice self rescues before they have to in real world situations. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Mossy, glad you're still here to share this story w/ us. It's a shame you had to endure so much for so long. I don't think anyone here is trying to make light of the situation but rather reminding ourselves that safety can NEVER be taken for granted. Even with practice for re-entry, or cold water rescue, or what ever...the point is unforeseen complications usually happen during times of stress and confusion. Your leg cramping is a perfect example...I never knew what that was like until last year while in a float tube...thought I would die from he pain. Nothing I could do except slowly make my way back to shore and end the trip early.

So it's ok. Glad you're still here, let's all learn from this and above all get back out there and conquer those fish! :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

YES YOU ARE DEFF RIGHT AS PER THE OTHER FORUMS NOW IM GEETING BASHED FOR GOING BACK OUT FISHING 2 DAYS LATER ...I WILL DO A SELF RECUE BUT NOT WITH WATER TEMPS AT 52DEG I WANT TO BE I LITTLE MORE COMFORTABLE IF IM GOING TO BE IN THE WATER FOR MORE THAN 10 MIN ..

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RockyRaab wrote:

Wow ......... a guy almost drowns and this is what you have to say ....... I know the guy ....... he's definitely not illiterate but you are definitely ignorant .........