Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone regularly fish from their Hobie Cat? There is a lot of Kayak fishing gong on but I don't see much on fishing from a Hobie? If so, do you use regular poles or are there hand lines that you can use. Also, I did see one person's post of fishing from a Hobie and I noticed that they put the fish they caught in a large flat white bag that zips. It was laying flat on the forward part of the rear tramp. Anyone have an idea of what kind of bag that is? Is it made for fish and where can I get one? Thanks. Dom

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well...I have done it but it is a pain. If there is wind you gotta sail anyway. The boat will get you from point a to b then shore fish. This is where I recommends a Hobie kayak.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would imagine that the best Hobie "cat" to fish from would be the Bravo. No fabric trampoline to get anything stuck on, and the ability to furl the sail instantly around the mast would be advantages. But I have to agree with Little Wing, you should really be looking at a Hobie Kayak to fish with. The Adventure Island, or Tandem Island would give you the ability to sail, as well as fish. They would be much better fishing boats than any of the Hobie Cats, and there are all kinds of people on this forum who do just that from both of those boats. You'll be amazed at how some of them have customized those boats to be better fishing boats than anything with a motor.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have always wanted to just troll behind my H16 while I'm sailing. Seems like you could just lash the rod to the tramp and sail as usual. When you catch something, just point into the wind and reel it in.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've trolled with my Hobie 16. Use some PVC pipe tied to the corner casings for rod holders. I rig a 3way swivel with a short leg and a Clark spoon and a long leg with a 2 oz Diamond Jig. The first few times I just used 80lb mono leader. We were off Stump Pass when the rod bent over and took drag for a few yards, then it went slack. When I reeled it in the diamond jig was gone. I have since added a short piece of steel leader. I assume it was a King Mackeral. As this is a very toothy critter, I would have kept it in the water and drug it home.

Try Cabella's for a fish bag.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You also want to keep an eye on you reel because I would imagine that you could lose a ton of line if you're sailing along at a good clip and the fish that you catch decides to go the opposite direction. Or even if you snagged it on a log or rock underwater.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had a friend fish off the back of mine. It was a low wind day and it worked fine. We just trolled. He did catch and release, so no fish bag was needed. We just caught pan fish, nothing that put up a fight. He had fun while I sailed around exploring where I could get to with a H16. Pretty much anywhere I wanted to go was what I learned. You can litterally sail it until it beached itself in shallow water.

The area I am in is called The Flats, and it is all shallow river delta.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for the great replys. I have a Getaway and will be launching from the beach directly to the ocean. We love to fish and figured combining the two. If we did catch anything I anticipated just letting the air out of the sails to slow. Wasn't sure what to do with the fish but I guess we can drag it. Unless it's too big - you know "old man of the sea" type :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found the fish cooler bags online. They aren't cheap! Will have to keep searching.

Here is what I found: http://www.tackledirect.com/canyon-insu ... -bags.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

try this gear...excellent stuff

www.youtube.com/watch?v=514DMzfus8w