Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did a race Saturday, took forever to reach the windward mark. Had to make very long, and barley pointing up. When I did pinch up it would sail very slow, and sunfish,laser,and v15 passed me like I was anchored?
When pointing, at about 15knts, and both set of taletalls flying; I was about10% off the monohulls point, and was still losing ground...
Any ideas: :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Back stay on the third hole. Forestay, on fouth hole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

smegster wrote:
Back stay on the third hole. Forestay, on fouth hole

Do you count from the bottom or the top?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

From top

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Boats vary, so determine shrouds location for best (max) rake when you can still properly sheet the main and then get the rig tension you need from moving the forestay lower in the adjuster.

There is a second topic running on this: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37283

I just posted a diagram and description about using tell tails to determine proper sheeting.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the post on proper sheeting, that was a help. Do you have some thing with regards to mast rake... Can you go to far aft?... Planning on trying Thursday different mast positions..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Still can't find a good rake that allows me a fair point up? Make the getaway is not a upwind boat?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

it's that time again. Just got wax'ed by a complete sunfish fleet on a upwind, downwind course. Really need some help tuning this Getaway. I know that it's not the greatest upwind performance boat, but there has to be something I can do?
Wish Hobie would put out more information about these boats.
Suggestion please.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All the cats with center boards seem to point way better than the one's without. I'm not sure why but I do know that my getaway does not point as good as my 16 did. I am strictly a casual weekend sailor so it's not a big deal to me. But it would be a real pain to do any coastal sailing with long upwind tacks with this boat. I have not played around with any of the mast rake adjustments.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Forget about mast rake and tuning. This is a technique/experience issue 100%. If you're trying to point with sunfish, you will lose everytime. Stop trying to pinch, it's suicide on a cat- especially one without dagger boards like the Getaway.

You need to foot off and play to your strength which is speed. You will sail 50% farther, but be going twice as fast. Make sure you also keep your weight forward so the boat sails "on its lines". It takes practice and if you are racing against seasoned sunfish sailors, you will get hosed if you try to follow their course. Bear off, keep the boatspeed up, and you will clean their clocks (eventually :D ).

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ahh, so keeping the weigh forward will help. The big problem is rounding the downwind mark ... and turning up to finish! Tips?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

smegster wrote:
Ahh, so keeping the weigh forward will help. The big problem is rounding the downwind mark ... and turning up to finish! Tips?

Well, I probably should have said "weight centered" because on the Getaway, you could climb up onto the forward tramp which would probably be too far forward. Usually right around the front crossbar in light to moderate wind and then move back incrementally as the wind/waves increase. Just don't sail around with the sterns dragging, it's very slow.

Rounding the downwind mark, don't sheet in the jib too quick or it will limit how quickly the boat turns upwind. You need to get the mainsail in first as you turn the rudders and then pull in the jib. It takes practice and coordination with the crew.

sm