Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, I'm a total beginner interested in getting into sailing, but before I drop hard earned $$$ on a boat, I'd like the opportunity to get out there and see if it's for me. I know the value of having a little experience before I jump in too much. My wife is also interested in sailing with me, so I figured that a Hobie 16 might be a good boat for us to try together. Anyone out there want to show me the ropes/sheets/lines (not sure what you call them)....haha? If you need compensation, I understand but I will gladly pay in beer as well.

Some backgound, I'm 30, in shape 6'3" 185lbs, and I've guided whitewater rafts all over the US, canoed, and kayaked for years, and spent time on a fly-fishing oar-rig as well as have plenty of water skiing experience, so I'm not afraid of water sports or taking a long swim. I'm a wilderness first responder and HAM operator so if for some reason we have an emergency I might be useful. I know most basic boating knots and am willing to LEARN. I know that I'm out of my league when it comes to this sport, so I'd really appreciate any guidance.

Anyone willing to let me crew for you or direct me to somewhere I could get some instruction?

I live 5 minutes from Lake Norman.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

i live on the lake in Denver Westport Area I am currently putting together my sons Hobie 16 and will soon put in my 21SE in the lake
send e mail
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PM Sent. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Terrierpike. We just bought our first H16 ('85) and looks like we have a little work to do on her before splashing. Keep and eye in the forums for when we get her in the water. Lake Wyle will probably be where we put in most at least at first.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Terrierpike,

I used to sail at Lake Norman but the power boat traffic got to be too dangerous. If you live 5 minutes from there, you already know that. I would launch at Ramsey Creek on the southeast end of the lake. If you can sail during the week, you should find it much safer. Gas prices may reduce the amount of power boating this year.

As to learning to rig and sail the Hobie, find Hobie sailors at a launch area and ask questions and watch. We are always willing to help. You will have no problem. I may come down this month to Ramsey Creek and will post or send you a message if I do. I usually sail on Jordan Lake though it is an additional 1/2 drive from Winston-Salem. It is Corp of Engineers lake and not as crowded as Norman.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the responses. I'll keep an eye out for you guys on the lake. Message me if you ever need a crew...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Terrierpike, check out these resources:

Lake Norman Yacht Club: http://www.lnyc.org/
Sailing club in Greensboro (where I live): http://www.laketownsendyachtclub.com

These organizations have friendly helpful people who either have catamarans or can help you find local folks who do.

Also, wish I had seen your post earlier, you just missed this year's Don Lee Center Adult Sailing weekend:
http://www.donleecenter.org/AdultSailingSchool.php
Camp Don Lee is on the Neuse River about 40 minutes past New Bern. Fun, relaxing weekend with other newbies, doubles as a cool getaway with your significant other. Tell them you are interested in Hobie sailing and they'll fix you up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dose any one sail their AI or TI around Lake Norman or Wylie? I cant be the only one! :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We once saw a couple in a TI this summer in the area of the Beattys Ford Access. They were sailing and the female forward was doing all the peddling.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Haven't been to that access yet. I usually launch a Blythe landing when at Norman. Been to Wylie and Mountain Island. Have yet to see another AI or TI. Maybe I'll go up there this Saturday for a change.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Terrierpike:

I sail my hobie 16 on Lake Norman. I keep it on Lake Norman Yatch Club (LNYC). It has a decent fleet of multihulls and their owners always welcome new people to the sport. I normally sail solo, so I would be more than happy to take you and your wife for a spin. Please feel free to send me your contact info at [email protected] and we can arrange something very soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ill have to go check out LNYC. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LNYC will host Cat Fest, a big multihull regatta on Sept 7-8, which will include a Hobie points regatta for the H16 class. Our portion will be the Division 9 Hobie 16 Championship. Go to the Hobie Racing thread of this forum and click on Division 9 and you'll see some discussion of Cat Fest. You ought to come sail with us. If you are a beginner, we'd love for you to join us, it would be a good chance to check out how some other sailors are rigging their boats.

Additionally, Hobie Fleet 97 was just reactivated in Raleigh this summer. I'm not sure where you are located, but for more info on Fleet 97, contact their commodore, Garrett Dawkins, at [email protected].

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28