Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I may just take a trip through northern Kansas to take a look at these two boats. Let me know what you think if you have the time. The plan is to go see boat #1 and if it is unsatisfactory take a look at boat #2. Both boats are apparently priced at $600. I'm tempted to see the one that is "ready to sail today" first, but it is 10 years older and has a less sturdy trailer (I will be making 5 hour drives with this boat).

Boat #1: 1981 model. Galvanized trailer looks to be in good shape. Current owner has not sailed this boat or ever had the sails out of the tube. He claims to have no idea what condition the sails are in. He won't state anything about the condition of the other parts either, saying he just doesn't know anything about sailboats or hobies, planned on learning but never had the time.
http://lawrence.craigslist.org/boa/2926330715.html

Boat #2: 1971 model. Seller says trailer is hard on the eyes but fully functional and offers to pack wheel bearnings before I take it on the road. Boat was sailed as recently as last year and buyer claims it is ready to hit the water today. New Trampoline and paint.
http://ksu.craigslist.org/boa/2986560685.html

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would not waste my time with the 71

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:28 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Little Wing wrote:
I would not waste my time with the 71

+1

It's painted, it's got an inspection port forward of the front crossbar - and it's 41 years old.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where are ya coming from?

Also contact J_Eaton here on this site. I can't keep track of what he has around.. but he always has a boat for sale.. or knows of deals around.

I also might be able to inspect a boat for you if you are talking about making a haul to look at a cheap boat and are seriously interested.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You don't have enough info on boat one.

But you can't expect much from the 71, so go for the 81.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Owner wont even pull out sails to inspect. fishy.

Honestly, Neither unless you can go see #1 and inspect it.

But #1 turns me away period.

#2 is just old as heck.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/2876278911.html

http://lawrence.craigslist.org/boa/2991917486.html

http://lawrence.craigslist.org/boa/2926728464.html

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WOW that Boomer is a steel

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What's a boomer? :oops:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think Boomer is the sail pattern. I emailed that guy asking if he had the title, a few other questions, and when/where I could meet him to take a look at it. I received the following reply:

"It's for sale"

hmmm.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I read a blog recently where a guy was looking for a Hobie on crags list and came to the conclusion there were three kinds of Hobie sailboat sellers on craigslist (I'm sure it applies more broadly). I'll enhance with my recent experience in dealing with craig's listers:

1. Wife is making him sell the damn thing so he way over prices it. Never any intention of selling ever. OR putting it out there to see what kind of offers are coming in to determine true 'worth' , maybe to make pont to "said wife". Ad dissappears from listing soon.

2. Clueless or ?. Does not respond to emails for more information/photos (or additional photos if they bothered to post photos in first place) or gives vague replies. Lists model date on some faulty logic - ask to check ID on transom and it comes back N-8 years older than they original posted (Them: It's an 88! Me: No, it's an 80). They never correct ad for real model year based on Hull ID.

3. they have it listed at a decent price and it is a decent/great boat. They are serious about selling and somewhat clear on + and - 's if not in the ad at least in correspondence. You have to be ready to act fast to get these as they go fast. That is have cash ready and be ready for the trip to view and pick up (make a deal so they don't sell to someone else as you travel up there [ happened to me]). Study these forums and posts from other buyers and know what to look for. No homework = you get what you get. $: you get what you pay for.

There is another craigs persona to add I think: they sold/lost/dumped/nuked from orbit/whatever the boat and never removed the ad.

Luke42_02 - if you have not gone back to your original post and not seen my (and other's responses) check it out. Know that you will also spend $$ extra for most used purchases to get "sail ready" and budget accordingly. Got mine last Sunday at a "steal" and still totaling up the $$ to splash her. Not to discourage you - you made the right choice to sail the best small boat ever made.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are other types, and sometimes you just get lucky.

I knew I wanted a H16, and had been casually looking on craigslist for a while. When I got a bonus check at work, I let my wife know that it was time (she was already ok with the idea). When I saw one in my price range pop up (<$1000) I called the guy, asked a couple questions, it sounded good so I drove an hour to go look at it. He had it since new at his cottage up north, but the kids had grown and his bad shoulder prevented him from further use. I knew enough to ask if the hulls were solid (I had no idea how to really tell) He said they were, we agreed on the price and I took delivery.

When I got it home, I set it all up for the first time. Everything was completely there and in working order as he said. I replaced a couple lines, mostly because they looked old, and took it sailing. I think I got EXTREMELY lucky. I am very happy.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Been looking for weeks. Leaving today for vacation (Beach), just found one about 5 hours north of me at a great price. uggggggggggggh, wont be there in a week!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's so funny about the types of Craigslist sellers, haha. I really like that yellow 84 for $800. Here's how our email conversation has gone so far:

Me: Do you have the title, when can I take a look at it?
Him: Yes, it is for sale
Me: yeah, I saw the Craigslist add. I'm really interested, can I come see it this weekend? Please call me at (#)
Him: I work weekends
Me: well just let me know, I can meet you before or after work or on any weekday.
Him: where do you plan on sailing this boat.
Me: In lake Texoma, why?
Him: I was worried about scammers
Since then: nothing

Doh!