Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In Cali the lights are "very technically legal"
HOWEVER
The overhang must have reflective red on the very back. The red nylon rudder strap does not cut it.
I will NOT risk my Hobie hoping the person behind me is not texting, drinking coffee, smacking their kid, etc.
Run an extension brake light set up on the very aft when towing. Easy setup with a pigtail off existing wiring.
Laws are laws, but if YOU do everything to say "STOP IDIOT" your insurance company cannot fight a thing

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just sold an AI and have now a couple months in the TI. Personally, I would keep the AI around just because its easier to transport and launch when you want to solo. But I'm still not used to the TI, so perhaps I'll change that opinion.

I could beach launch the AI anywhere with a simple dolly. Dollying the TI is a whole other issue. Only really reliable way for all kinds of situations is the big, wide, expensive full cradle type dolly, that costs 375 or more for the beach wheel type. It's also just large to have in a car or van, whereas the AI dolly is simple and small.
'
You just have to think that the TI is larger and heavier and so it takes more to do anything with it. The AI was the perfect size and weight for one person to horse around.

Do I sound like I'm missing my AI? Well, like I said I haven't tweaked the TI yet to get things the way I like them, so I'll just give it another season. But for two people, the TI is awesome--no queston.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After getting my TI, I realized that the much longer TI would extend its
stern quite a ways to the rear of the trailer. Here in Minnesota, anything extending more than 3 feet beyond a vehicle (trailer) must have a red flag attached to the back end during the day and an light at the back during the night. I went to a local steel shop and got a steel square tube of the same dimensions but three feet longer as the trailer tongue. I swapped the tongue tubes and moved the Hobie TI trailer cradles to better positions.
Now the TI stern only overhangs the trailer by about 6 inches. The trailer is longer but now it is street legal and I feel more comfortable when someone comes up close to the trailer at a stop sign.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My local Aldi supermarket had hi-vis orange or yellow safety vests available for $3.99. I am kicking myself for only buying one orange vest, but I am getting a local sailmaker to make a sock to fit over the TI's rudder. I am also fitting 8 feet or retro-reflective tape on the outside of the amas and hull at the rear, while I got the rear overhand down to under 2 feet. I agree it is worth trying lots to minimise the chances of a cretin plowing into the back of you.

Last edited by tonystott on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very Nice set up - :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mikereddy wrote:
I just sold an AI and have now a couple months in the TI. Personally, I would keep the AI around just because its easier to transport and launch when you want to solo. But I'm still not used to the TI, so perhaps I'll change that opinion.

I could beach launch the AI anywhere with a simple dolly. Dollying the TI is a whole other issue. Only really reliable way for all kinds of situations is the big, wide, expensive full cradle type dolly, that costs 375 or more for the beach wheel type. It's also just large to have in a car or van, whereas the AI dolly is simple and small.
'
You just have to think that the TI is larger and heavier and so it takes more to do anything with it. The AI was the perfect size and weight for one person to horse around.

Do I sound like I'm missing my AI? Well, like I said I haven't tweaked the TI yet to get things the way I like them, so I'll just give it another season. But for two people, the TI is awesome--no queston.

I actually got a TI (never owned an AI) and with the hassle of transporting it to and from the ocean, I might go ahead and get a AI too. I like sailing solo on the TI, but it's very difficult for me to transport it to and from the water by myself. I am still young and in good health too so I could only imagine the difficulty older people may have. And like you, I only had my TI for a month so maybe once I am more efficient in managing my IT... I would think differently too.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good thinking. Even young guys can pull a groin with this boat and face the "gotta get a trailer" dilemma. :cry:

For those rocky/slippery slopes you are facing, I might suggest buying a lightweight carpet runner or 2 that you can roll/slide the TI over when the terrain is unfriendly.

They also work great on rough concrete ramps and for loading/unloading on pavement. I keep a smaller section rolled in my bow for coral beach landings.

AI or TI, you'll work out the transport issues, cuz you'll love the boat. We all do.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Similar question.... I am in the market for an Island but not sure which one. I plan to use strictly as a yak, in the Mobile River delta from time to time for camping. Low overhangs, tight turns, and the occasional portage. I take my son with me in my 11.6ft Pelican now. It is a single kayak, but we are both pretty small and can sit in the same seat. He sits between my legs. My concerns are. 1) TI is to big to portage (especially over logs by myself).
2) AI mirage drive will not allow for my son to ride in the same cockpit as me making the TI necessary.. See concern #1.

:o

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tramps on the AI would be a perfect solution.

Kids up to 90lbs provide ideal ballast on the AI's windward side.

Keep him leashed. It's easy, and folks won't point at you and scowl like they do at the shopping malls...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When in the Delta I think tramps will make the right too wide. I know there will be no room for a mast as I have to duck in my current yak.

Although the tramp on one side could've folded in for portaging and should not add too much weight.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you say you want to use it strictly as a yak, do you mean you will never use it for sailing or you want to use it as a yak only when camping on the delta? Personally, much as I love my AI for open water, for travelling along creeks and the like, I prefer to paddle my Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL tandem. Fine to use as a tandem or solo and light enough to portage (just).

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your going to portage alot you don't need the extra rigged weight of the AI. Or the 16' length. Or the sail where there is no wind. A light rugged tandem is what's needed. Something you can beat to pieces.

You only need the AI if your primary mission is to sail - and you have the winds to do it.

If you do choose that route, the tramps can be rolled up or deployed quickly. No worries there.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I finally got my new TI out for a first sail yesterday. It was a real pleasure and although in pretty light air moved along just great (4.5mph GPS) with me and my friend aboard.

It was GREAT to be able to take someone out with me.

Taking it on and off the Yakima cradles pictured earlier in the thread was a hassle. They're too high and too close together to make lifting the hull, one end at a time easy.

I used the plug in beach dolly that I made for my AI and it's got to go. It was just as much of a hassle to take out at the beach with the TI as it is with the AI. However, the WheelEez beach the 30cm wheels worked just fine over the gravel and loose stuff on the beach.

I will probably install the bunks that I purchased on my trailer and order the new Hobie beach cart. I was in the water and sailing while another fellow with a tandem was still waiting to use the launch ramp along with the fishing boats and jet skis. I really like the ability to beach launch, especially when there's shore break. The launch site is unprotected, so trailer launching a light boat can get very interesting when a wave rolls in, lifts the boat then slams it back down on the trailer.

I'm looking forward to sailing the TI solo, not sure if I'll keep the AI. It's not going to get much use.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I stumbled across my old thread tonight and thought I'd give a brief update. The TI has been a great boat. I sold both AI's. I purchased a Trailex trailer and haven't looked back. Here in Ohio we don't really have launch-friendly beaches. Trailer launching is easy. I'm just west of Cleveland. It's an awesome boat for single or double use. It's strong suit is sailing. With the centerboard it behaves much more like a sailboat than the AI did, especially sailing to weather.

Best watercraft purchase I've ever made. Love this TI.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have one of each. I use the TI 90% of the time, even when going out solo. But, the AI, being lighter, is something I still take out from time to time to mess around in when conditions warrant something lighter and maybe a little quicker to launch. Plus, in stripped down mode, the AI makes a nice standard kayak that you can take on rivers and that sort of thing.

In other words, if you don't need the money and have room to store it, keeping it gives you some additional options.

Just noticed your update that you sold both AI's. Oh well, obviously you like the TI and are having fun with it. Yes, it's a great boat.