Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry for the miss spelling. I think my keyboard is going on the fritz! I know how to spell and know I am hitting the keys. I didnt fall into the cold water (LOL) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We are using a short section of PVC pipe that we insert into the paddle shaft - we drill through the fiber shaft and PVC pipe insert - and tap the screws into the PVC - the clip get's installed on the opposite side of the blade logo - and onto the half of the paddle that is female (so you can install the T Handle still)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:
We are using a short section of PVC pipe that we insert into the paddle shaft - we drill through the fiber shaft and PVC pipe insert - and tap the screws into the PVC - the clip get's installed on the opposite side of the blade logo - and onto the half of the paddle that is female (so you can install the T Handle still)

Thanks for this description! What size PVC will fit in the paddle shaft? I'd measure myself, but I'm on an airplane right now and the clip I ordered should be waiting on my doorstep when I get home. I'm hoping to install the clip and be on the water this weekend. I'm also hoping my new Humminbird 385 ci DI is waiting for me, but I'll take my time on that install. I intend to be on the water often this summer!

Thanks!

TDK

Last edited by TDK on Thu May 03, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TDK wrote:
Jbernier wrote:

Thanks for this description! What size PVC will fit in the paddle shaft? I'd measure myself, but I'm on an airplane right now and the clip I ordered should be waiting on my doorstep when I get home. I'm also hoping to install the clip and be on the water this weekend. I'm hoping by new Humminbird 385 ci DI is waiting for me, too, but I'll take my time on that install. I intend to be on the water often this summer!

Thanks!

TDK

TDK,

I just got home and read your post. The PVC pipe size that fits in the end of the "female" end of the paddle is 3/4 inch PVC. That means the interior opening of the PVC is 3/4 inch. The outside measurement of the PVC is 1 inch. I happened to have some and tested it. The diameter works fine. It does not go far into the female end...maybe a few inches past the holes for the locking mechinism. It would be a short piece of PVC.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you so much for the info. I am going to do that tonight. I am heading to the Texas gulfand take advantage of the super moon. Again Hobie Thank you for your products and igenuity! :D :D :D

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes - we use a standard 3/4" irrigation grade pvc - and it seems to work fine - and is super cheap to buy yourself if you want to do this mod yourself in the field.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces sent you a pm :D

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I did as the Hobie rep. said but used s/s rivets and it came out good. And when I put the BB Slice 280 cm together it was a little heavy on the male side. But used some velcro tape and wraped it around the PA's handle and paddle and it works great. Send pics tomorrow. :D

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jacques - Thanks for sending details. This sounds like an easy mod and will solve a real problem with current deck clutter.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you go to www.topkayaker.net and look up the paddle keepers by surf to summit you will see what I use. they simply strap on to one of the handles and hold your paddle, no clips, no drilling holes, they simply work. Hope it helps......

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Boiler, Thanks I saw those when you referenced it earlier. But you have to use two hands twice to get it off. Or I am not seeing the quick release? I have my stake out/ pushpole on one side and my anchor trolley on the other side. Was looking for a way that wouldnt interfere with access to either or. This way I can move it forward or back and it is out of the way. Have you seen the way the PA12 is and still gives it a slick look. And with the factory clip got in the way with the rod holder and took up space in the back.

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:
Yes - we use a standard 3/4" irrigation grade pvc - and it seems to work fine - and is super cheap to buy yourself if you want to do this mod yourself in the field.

Great! I've got a piece of 3/4 pvc in my garage. With the curved surface, are you guys just using SS screws or rivets to attach the clip to the paddle shaft, or did you figure a way to use nuts and washers?

Unfortunately, my clip didn't show up yestereday. Maybe today!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:

I just reread your earlier post where you said you used screws. That answers my question. That said, I wonder if a convex washer with a vinyl insert nut would prevent the rig from coming apart after lots of use? This would assume I cam figure out a way to get the washers and nuts in place inside the tube. Glue.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Duh... I was anxious to get this project underway this past weekend, and suddenly realized that because I already have Scotty rod holders mounted on both siderails, there is no way a clip can be used there! The hardware mounting the rod holders sticks out sufficiently from the rails to prevent the shaft of the paddle from lying flush against the rail. So this would be a good excuse to try the paddle keepers that Boiler advocates.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jbernier wrote:

Hi Jacques,

Over the weekend, I was trying to figure out how to attach the Scotty clip to the paddle and I can't determine how to make this work without sacrificing the ability to connect the other half of the paddle. Does the PA 12 only come with the single blade paddle with T-handle? The female end of my Hobie paddle has a plug in the paddle shaft that seems to be permanently affixed just far enough inside the shaft to allow the male end of the other paddle to insert fully. If I insert a piece of PVC, of any length, in the female end of the shaft then I won't be able to use the other part of the paddle. The T-handle doesn't insert quite as far as the male end of paddle, so I can see how you might be able to insert a small PVC section and still use the T-Handle. Do you have both screws for the clip going through the paddle shaft and into the PVC piece, requiring a section of PVC at least 5.5 inches long? There's no way I could fit a piece of PVC that long into the female end of the paddle and still be able to insert the T-handle. Is there a way to knock-out the plug inside the shaft of the female end of the paddle to allow the PVC section to insert further?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next